WHATZIT3

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: WHATZIT3
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

Figured I'd start a new challenge. I had this item on a table at a swap meet because I never knew what it was. After Bruce Atkinson told me what it was I hung it back up in the garage for a conversation piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Kenny Edmondson:

I will take a wild guess that it has something to do with split rims.

I have 1/2 dozen wall hangers that are just that (wall hangers) to show walk ins.

The following whatzit is not a wall hanger and I have used it a lot. I had to cover the patent plate as it has the name on it.

ring mike 1

ring mike 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:00 am:

Nothing to do with split rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

It would help if we had better pictures of it at different angles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

It reminds me of a giant can oppner used to cut the tops out of barrels? Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

I'll try to get more pics soon. Had an unfortunate issue with the computer that the pics were on. No virus issues or anything, the screen hinge broke on my laptop. I've got it torn apart right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

This is a somewhat common tool. Its very useful when working on motors. The ODD SHAPE of the socket should be a clue.

flywheel wrench 1

flywheel wrench 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

The size of the socket above should be another clue it 11/16" made by Blackhawk another manufacturer of popular T shop tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

Transmission cap screw wrench.I have a couple different ones and they do come it handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Jack Daron:
Once again you hit the nail on the head. I use this one most of the time because I like it better than the Z Tool. If the cap screw is terribly rusted in and if I can turn the flywheel just right I can get a modern socket and breaker bar.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:40 am:

Here's a couple other pictures of the tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 12:47 pm:

Dave,

The rectangular item you posted is hard to see. Is it a piston ring gauge? Do you have the calibration standard that goes with the gauge? It is a ring of known diameter.

I have a friend who showed me his piston ring gauge and it looks a lot like your picture.

Thanks for posting these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve osborne on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

looks like it could straddle the axle and compress something such as springs, or aftermarket shocks or something?
oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

Dennis Sanford:

It is a piston ring Mike. It is nice for not only double checking piston ring circumference but I use it for gap clearance. The gauge reads in thousands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

This whatzit was a real surprise to me. I didn't know they existed. The Loveland swap meet is the best swap meet in Colorado for T parts. There has been an elderly man at the meet for three or four years with his collection of T tools, including Z Tool, KRW tools and many others. His prices are very good and I usually buy a couple of tools from him. I stared at this whatxit for awhile trying to think what it was for. Finally it downed on me, what it was. I asked the man with the tools what it was for and he confirmed it for me, so I bought it.

split rim tool 1

split rim tool 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:00 pm:

Dave,
Split rim tool?
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:57 am:

OK, my item is not for Model T's, but I did get it with a bunch of Model T stuff, so I initially assumed it was T related. Hint is it's used in building wooden structures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

Verne Shirk:

YES, YES, YES, Like I said I was very surprised to see it in a bunch of T tools. I asked the seller what it was and he told me it was a split rim tool. I didn't let on that I thought I knew what it was. While I was photographing it yesterday I found a small tag that says SPLIT RIM TOOL.
I really don't think it would be as good as the gear driven split rim tools that I have, I just put it on the wall as a conversation piece for walk ins. It seems to be really well made just the wrong design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Dave,
Here's mine...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 12:29 am:

Verne Shirk:

It looks a lot more useful than the one in the picture above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 07:48 am:

Dave,
It also can double as a boat anchor due to its weight!
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

I think that this whatzit is somewhat rare. I had a similar tool that I bought out of one of the catalogs. The metal was so soft I don't think it lasted more than ten motors or less. This one was made during the T era and has lasted me through many motors with no problem. The dog leg at the open end may be a clue. The opening is 1 & 1/8' Everyone doing many motors should have this wrench.

cam nut 1

cam nut 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:50 am:

The thing in Dave's first two pictures is a toilet seat from a Model T camper. The handle next to the hole is a wind-up timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:11 am:

Cam nut wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 09:14 am:

Kenny Edmondson:
You are correct. Its a CAM NUT TOOL Later today I will show the first Cam Nut Socket that I bought from one of the catalogs that I didn't get 10 motors out of before the soft medal was so worn that It is useless.

The vintage Ford lists the wrench above as 3Z655 and 5Z162 however the wrench above has a higher number that I can not make out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 09:14 am:

Kenny Edmondson:
You are correct. Its a CAM NUT TOOL Later today I will show the first Cam Nut Socket that I bought from one of the catalogs that I didn't get 10 motors out of before the soft medal was so worn that It is useless.

The vintage Ford lists the wrench above as 3Z655 and 5Z162 however the wrench above has a higher number that I can not make out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:38 am:

Model A spark plug wrench fits, and it's more common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:52 am:

The very first tool shown is for pressing tongue and groove floor boards together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

I Don't know why I have this whatzit tool I never use it.

4th rod 1

4th rod 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

I don't know what happened to my pictures but I will try again.

picture 1

picture 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

I don't know what happened to my pictures but I will try again.

picture 1

picture 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

Last Try:

rod wrench 1

rod wrench 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

I forgot to say the above wrench is a 5/8" socket.
The socket is permanent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

4th rod bearing ratchet,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

Lance, you are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:30 pm:

Jack Daron:

That was too easy for you, your correct. I don'tknow why I have it. I don't use three dip pans or 5/8 nuts on the rod bolts.

picturem

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration