Strange Piston Ring, Early Gapless?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Strange Piston Ring, Early Gapless?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:14 pm:

I was removing good rod cores from a bunch of old pistons today and ran across this ring. Early gapless ring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

It looks like somebody needed wide rings and couldn't find one, and used 8 thin ones to fill the gap.

Not unusual, guys do it all the time with old gas engines, and old tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:06 am:

Cord Duaflex rings, very popular in europe in all ranges of engines since the mid 1930's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:14 am:

I did something similar. I had a 1910 engine I wanted to keep original, including saving the old flat top pistons. There was too much ring slop in the top ring so I machined out the bottom of the groove. I also had the replacement rings ground thinner on a magnetic grinder so that I could add a spacer under the ring, the kind you see for oil rings. Worked fine. After break in, there was no blow by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

Richard, that was neat! Never thought of using a surface grinder with a magnetic base to do that!!!!!
thanks for that bit of info.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration