OT - More help please, I'm looking for Pierce Arrow, Thomas, ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - More help please, I'm looking for Pierce Arrow, Thomas, ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:24 pm:

.....and Rolls Royce differential ratios.

I'm trying to piece together general specifications of a few well known marquees, and having a hard time finding differential (rear end, gear) ratios.

Royce, if your reading this, you often relate how good Pierce Arrows are (and I think everyone agrees) and that you are very familiar with them. Could you help find the standard factory gear ratios of four models, the 30, 40(45) hp four and six cylinder, and the Model 65 six cylinder? Also looking for the same information on 1907 Thomas 40 and Thomas Flyer (60 hp) models.

Thanks for any help,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Rob,

Won't be home till Monday. No data with me.

Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 07:04 pm:

Rob,The Gillmore Red Barns Museum has quite a large collection of Pierce Arrows?? I'm sure they have a web site.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

Still looking. I've got several books and magazines that have substantial information on Pierces, but not one mention of pre - 1910 gear ratios. I think they were around 4.33 to 1 before Pierce went to 4 speed transmissions in 1910, and maybe 4.10 after that. In the 1930's the gear ratios went up numerically when overdrive was available, close to 5 to one I think in the '37 town car we worked on.

Here's a look at a 1909 where the article says 4.50 to one "estimated".

When restoring a Pierce Arrow mechanically you take things apart to see if they are rusted inside. Rarely will you find anything worn beyond repair or broken. Rear axles get cleaned up on the outside and painted, then torn apart for resealing. The stuff is so over engineered it can't fail unless it is submerged in water.
http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2011/03/01/hmn_feature2.html

Here's a car I worked on in the 1980's:

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?SaleCode=MO10&CarID=r176

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration