O.K., I may be a nut but I finally found a clean exhaust manifold that had a nice prominent Ford script in it to replace my ratty, pitted, non-script unit. I could see it had a slight warp but I was able to manhandle it into place with hand pressure on a spare block with gland rings in place so I knew it could be done. Making it fit while out of the car and being able to attack it from the best angle was one thing, it would be far more tough doing it with the engine in place.
It turned out to be very simple. Here is what I did.
Using only 2 hands, I got the rings and copper gaskets in place in the manifolds, and worked the front hole of both the exhaust and intake manifold into position and clamped down hand tight. Next I got the back hole of the intake lined up as well as number 2 and 3 exhaust ports and hand tightened the clamps for those areas. Next I further tightened the front two clamps and observed with a flashlight that the surfaces were mating well with the gasket rings. Number 4 of the exhaust was still out of position enough that I couldn't get it to go with only hand pressure. I found a section of 1 inch dowel rod and ran my floor jack into position directly under number 4 exhaust port (as close as can be done to directly under). Using the jack to push the dowel up under number 4 just enough to let it seat and tighten all the clamps with perfect results. Took less than 10 minutes.