Distributor question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Distributor question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

I have been trying to help a local gentleman with starting his 1917 touring with no luck. The car ran back at Christmas for about half a hour and not since. Unfortunately, the owner has cancer and not strong enough to start it. The car had a Texas T distributor put on it in December before it ran last. I am used to stock T coil ignition systems, so I need to ask if there is a any difference in starting procedure if you have a distributor?

The car has a starter installed, but does nothing but spin when I depress the starter button. The old girl is getting fuel. The lights turn on and the battery is charged.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

Assuming the initial timing is set correctly (slightly retarded with lever full up), there is no difference between starting a car with original coils vs. a distributor. A little throttle, pull the choke, spin the starter and vroom. If it is slow to start, go lightly with the choke. As with any ignition system, I'd pull the #1 plug (and other plug wires) and slowly crank the motor checking for the piston position when #1 fires.

Some cars like the mixture enriched slightly, 1/4 to 1/2 turn, when starting from dead cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

Just to be sure that the timing gear isn't stripped, take the dist. cap off and turn the engine over to be sure the dist. is turning. If so, then check for spark like Walt said above.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

Mike,
Check for fire through the points. Both of my speedsters have distributors. When they sit for a while, I sometimes have to run an emery board between the points. Check/clean all connections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:23 am:

Have I missed something ? "The car has a starter installed, but does nothing but spin when I depress the starter button" IS THE engine itself turning over ? If not bad bendix ? Am I reading this wrong ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

Mike,

Do what Mike Black suggests. Points may look clean and bright but could still have a thin, insulating oxide coating. I've had it happen more than once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:43 pm:

David Kriegel: That's easy something in your bendix failed. My guess would be one of the bolts in the bendix has BACKED OUT!
And NO your motor is NOT turning over.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

Mike, I have a 1916,no starter. But every spring I empty the fuel tank and put in fresh gas. I have noticed that within a month the ethanol fuel breaks down. Some times I can put Sea Foam additive in the fuel and run it in my riding lawn mower. I always put a little Sea Foam in my T tank, if the car has sat a month. Rock the T after you add the Sea Foam to mix.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration