The Ceremonial First Crossing of the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: The Ceremonial First Crossing of the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

Here in downtown St. Louis we have a new bridge across the Mississippi opening next Saturday February 8th. Our club has been selected to be in the first ceremonial crossing. We are allowed only 8 cars and there will be a military band, some military vehicles and I do not know what other clubs have been invited. The ribbon cutting is at 2pm and the parade is at 3 pm.

Long range weather forecast is for a high of less than 30 and the possibility of snow. It will be a cold day. As long as it is not raining I will be there!

This should make the national news so look for us.
I will try to post some pictures.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:37 am:

Steven,
So, you'd rather drive in snow than in rain???
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 08:12 am:

Only eight Model T's? Could it be the engineers are nervous about the bridge design and want to test it with a light load first? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

Rain in this cold is very miserable, been there and done that. The snow prediction is for up to 2 inches and is a lot less cold to drive in.
They are only allowing 8 cars from our club. I do not know what other clubs are participating. They also have the bridge open for people to walk on it during this parade so it could be very crowded. This new bridge carries interstate 70 across the Mississippi to help clear some of the traffic off of the Popular Street Bridge that carried highways 55, 64 and 70. This bridge opens to traffic Sunday February 9th.
I feel that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and am very excited about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

Steven is right, zero degrees is much nicer than 34 degrees, as it is easier to stay warm when you are dry, but snow is always better then rain when you are outside, unless the rain is in 70+ degree weather

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

We had a good day today, Temp didn't reach 30 degrees and we got a half inch of snow during the night, but the snow ended about 6:30 am so the streets were wet but not snow packed.
We had 8 cars sign up to go (that was all that we were aloud) but only 5 cars made it. I understood that the Model A club was invited but the weather scared them off.
This was fun and I am glad we could be a part of this bridge opening.

At the restaurant before the bridge. We ate at a place called the Pour House and the food was good.

Getting to the bridge.

A group picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

Sam and Cindy Atkinsons car

My car with us posing with some friends we brought. Diana Thum, me, Jerry Jezik and Shellie Jezik.

Kent Gilbane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

Steve and Mary Ellen Stephenson"s car

Dave Becherer

The Line up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Some other interesting participants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Unloading and hitching the Budweiser 8 horse hitch.

Those horses are huge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:14 pm:

The bridge

A barge and tug in the Mississippi river.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

The Musial Family unloading.

The end of the parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

The girl with her back to the camera as the wagon is coming down the ramp is Kat Metzger. Her Dad Gary worked for my Dad at his auto repair business when I was a kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

I almost forgot one, Kent putting the first oil stain on the bridge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

Thanks for the photo's, I knew Kent Gilbane was going in his centerdoor, we saw him Friday afternoon in Kingdom city w/ his T aboard heading for a gas station. We were on our way to pick up the 15 yr old grandson at North Callaway High School on up 54 across 70. You'll look cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

That must be Kent's "foul weather" car. I've always seen him in a gorgeous '11 or '12 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

In your first picture at the restaurant before the bridge, it was very generous of you to invite the homeless guy in the plaid shirt to join you.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:46 pm:

Kent wanted to bring his 11 but the weather prevented him from doing that.

Thanks Dick, the beard is for Chickasha next month

Thanks John, will we see you at Chickasha this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

Steven I'd love to go but Doctor would not sign my health card so I lost my Class A CDL, can't bring the big trailer, so no place to sleep etc. I need several parts, don't know yet. Thieves tore up my motorhome so I sold it to the insurance company so it is gone too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Thanks, Steven. Glad to hear it. I thought Diana had kicked you out and you were living on the street.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 09:54 am:

We have been driving between Idaho and Kentucky for the past decade, and we usually cross the MLK bridge in St Louis, but this year, a friend talked us into using a GPS to navigate, we first used it going to the Liberty Memorial in Kansas City, it had us doing a U turn where U turns were not allowed, and we nneded to make a left turn anyway, so first try was a swing and a miss. Then going through St Louis, it told us to follow our regular route, I was paying attention to the signs and ignoring the GPS, and ended up on the new bridge, the GPS told me I had made a wrong turn and dropped me in the river, attempt #2, a swing and a miss. My comment was where the heck did that bridge come from, then I remembered this post. It cut several miles of confusing spaghetti from the trip. The third try with the GPS has us taking a closed exit in Louisville, third try a swing and a miss and the GPS is out. The best way to navigate is a map and the road signs.
Best
Gus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Very cool! What an honor to be selected to be FIRST to cross!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

Gus, I was interested in what you posted. I have yet to cross the bridge (not sure why, since all I have to do is drive about 12 minutes to get there), but there has been a lot of talk in the automotive/traffic column of the Post-Dispatch since the bridge opened complaining about confusing signage. You apparently had no problem with it. I guess I'll go see for myself....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:37 pm:

Hey Dick,
We crossed from both directions and never had any doubt about the signage, it was very clear as long as we ignored the stupid GPS. I suspect the problems is that too many people can not drive to the corner quick stop with out their GPS any more, and if you follow the GPS you are going to be confused no matter where you are going. Anyone who can not make it over that bridge should not be allowed to have a driver's license.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

that was a cold morning! I haven't had a reason to go back or over the bridge again yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

I have updated the maps on my Garmin Nuvi and it still does not show that bridge. I wonder when it will be mapped.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

It looks like a good time. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it would be, dressed in those insulated bibs and heavy coats on such a warm day. The guy with the scarf over his face in the third photo down must have been planning a bank job.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration