Nuts for connecting rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Nuts for connecting rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

Can someone give me information on aircraft quality torque prevailing nuts for connecting rod bolts. A part number would be helpful and where to buy them.
I have my '15 engine apart and it had a regular nuts with Pal type jam nuts on top. Pal nuts have their purpose but I don't feel this application is too good. Thanks. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

I think you can use Chevy 350 nuts and rod bolts. I think using prevailing torque type nuts on original rod bolts will chew them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

I can't give you the information you are looking for but I will give you an observation from using at least one type of pinch nut. I tried some of the type that have the upset around the top. I found that they were hard to put on and in fact the amount of torque just to install felt like they were pulling the threads more then they should. The original rod bolts are not that hard and if I were to guess, are about a grade 5 or less, if that. I wonder if it would be better if you are going to use a type of pinch nut that maybe you should make up a set of bolts using a higher grade bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Joseph Stearns:

I have used self locking all metal nuts for over 30 years and have never had any problems. I like the aircraft type the best. See the tallest one in the picture below (if I still have it)

nuts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 07:33 am:

McMaster Carr has them, they work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:43 am:

pioneer brand #crn 453-16 reusable rod nuts from 60's ford v8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:09 am:

I would like to see someone make the connecting rod bolts and nuts just the way Ford did, and at least grade 5!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:51 am:

My observations on stress and torque on a Model T engine connecting rods are that there is very limited stress on the connecting rod bolts. The majority of the thrust is on the top of the connecting rod as it is thrust down ward and very limited as it is returning upward. Similarly the top of main bearings almost get no wear because the thrust is downward. With many engines today if you order a main bearing set you only get the lower components. I would feel that the original bolt, nut and cotter pin assembly is more than adequate for the purpose intended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

We have a lot of originals for sale.Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:02 pm:

MS21042 -(diameter in sixteenths) is a good all metal aircraft self locking single use nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

Royce is correct. MS21042-6 is the 3/8 nut. They can be bought from Aircraft Spruce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

I will keep that in mind Bob. Could I ask how much a bolt and nut combo.

PM if you need to.

Thanks Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

This is what we have always used when we need self locking nuts, and you can put them on and off with out hurting the bolt threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:53 am:

Thanks everyone for the input. Joe

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration