Old Photo - Model T Era - Harley Davidson's with mounted machine guns

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Model T Era - Harley Davidson's with mounted machine guns
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:37 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

Looks like a Browning Automatic Rifle, M1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

Can't be a BAR, there's a belt can on the right side sitting there and it looks like the receiver is configured to take a belt. Cool set up though. I wonder if it is set up for one driver to control both cycles, or it is just used as a gun platform.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Driscoll on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

The gun is a Benet-Mercie model of 1909, manufactured by Hotchkiss. The US Army used it from 1909 to 1916.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:38 am:

Randy's nailed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:49 am:

The Harley Davidson Museum web site, has the photo listed as 1917, great bikes, BIG! dollars at my end of the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:16 am:

I wonder what is that tank on top of the gas tank that has OFF ON written on it? Maybe oil? or Maybe extra fuel?

Looks like the two bikes might be attached for stability. What do you think? Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:54 am:

Good question Joseph. The line from the top tank looks to have a fitting just under the carburetor but does not look to tie into either of the two gas lines or the oil line. The plunger centered on top of the regular tank is a hand pump the goes through the tank to pump oil to the engine. That part of the tank should hold plenty of oil. I can see wanting extra fuel. Don't know what other liquid you would carry. Not kerosene as the bike has electric lights.

I think the bikes are just parked in formation and not tied together.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:07 am:

You can see where the divider between the gas and oil tank is. That's a lot of oil. The hand pump is used when climbing hills or when the rider feels additional oil is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:17 am:

One of my Great Uncles was a Dispatch Rider during the Great War, rode one of these and the others without the machine gun, he wound up with a plate in his head, came close to killing him, but he survived and died not too long ago. He was armed with a Thompson, carried it in a saddle scabbard like we used horseback. I am thinking that reservoir may be a chain oiler ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Found this online : harley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Randy, how far are you from St. Cloud?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Driscoll on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Bill, St. Cloud is about a 3 hour drive. I drive by there about every 3 months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:11 am:

I'll be in St. Cloud early in the week of February 17th for the Tri State Aerial Applicator Convention. Some of us in the older generation still refer to them as Cropdusters, and occasionally flyboys. I'm looking forward to the weather!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Langner on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:28 am:

I like Model T's and all, but those old Harley's really turn me on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

Hey Grady, if your Great-uncle was a dispatch rider in the Great War, He could not have been armed with a Thompson, they were not developed until after the Great War, he might have carried one in the Second War though.
Best
Gus

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration