Windshield installation in 26 Coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Windshield installation in 26 Coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Cook on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Hi all,

I'm replacing the windshield frame in my 26 coupe but can't see how it's attached to the body. I have the side rails and adjusting arms but how is the frame attached at the top? Any ideas would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

This is from a '22 Coupe window frame. I'm not familiar with a '26 but I would guess they are close to the same where the window frame attaches to the body using a bracket and screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Cook on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Thanks Dennis--looks like the 22 is a split windshield. The 26 is one piece without brackets on the top like yours. The 26 looks like there's a tube that runs the full length of the frame on top and a slightly larger tube that's part of the drip rail that attaches to the body, also the full length of the frame making me think these nest together making a "piano type hinge" for the entire top of the frame.

But that's just my guess...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:00 pm:

Your 26 coupe has a hinge across the top. Open the windshield forward and you will see about eight wood screws holding it to the header. Remove them and it will come right out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

Some 26-27 coupes and tudors had a piano hinge type hinge like Leon mentioned. Some had an interlocking type hinge like some Model A's used. I'm not sure when the change occurred. The interlocking hinge can be removed by sliding the entire frame to one side or the other. My 27 has the interlocking hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

Terry, there is no wood in the 26 header, there were two methods, one has nuts in the bottom of the header and the other has screws and nuts that go through the front of the header.look for the holes and that will tell you which way it fits.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

On my 27 coupe the windshield had the interlocking hinge. It came out by unfolding it up and out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

If it's anything like the Tudor you need to remove the window side trim first because the trim butts up to the hinge.
Then swear yourself halfway to hell, or more, while simultaneously PRAYING the screwdriver you have is good enough to loosen the screws from the square head nuts tucked into the channel above.
Once the screws are ALL removed have fun wiggling it out.
I recommend placing a thick blanket over the hood and cowl.
That was the easy part.......just WAIT till you get to the "putting it back in" stage.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

I forgot the 26 coupe we restored had machine screws to hold the piano hinge on. The 29 Model A we restored had the wood header and the interlocking hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Cook on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:37 am:

I figured it out...if anyone else is replacing the windshield frame on a 26 coupe it slides into the drip shield which is attached with six screws to the body. It's a tight fit so if there's paint or rust clean it off then use a good lubricating oil and it should slide in.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration