On the bottom of E&J headlamps...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: On the bottom of E&J headlamps...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

...are slots for moving the burner forward and backwards to focus the beam.

On my original "no-name" E&J headlamps, there is also a diagonal slot that is back by the mirrored glass reflector.

What is the diagonal slot for?

I have a set of reproduction J&E headlamps and the reproductions do not have the diagonal slot.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

Keith,that's for caster/camber/LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

My Jno. Brown 19's don't have that slot. Could it be anything to do with retaining the reflector?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

The slot tightens the retaining ring for the mangin mirror and allows the mirror to push against the asbestos pad in the back of E&J lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:20 am:

Dave-

Thanks for the use of the photographs you sent me. I have made the copies I wanted and discovered some interesting details. I will try to get them in the mail to you this week.

Regarding the lamps, I haven't had them apart, so I dunno if there is an asbestos pad between the mirror and the back of the lamp or not. Is the asbestos simply a cushion, or insulation so the brass does not get discolored, or what?

What sort of part should be in there to tighten the retaining ring? a clip, a screw? or ???

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:13 am:

Dave-

Thanks for the use of the photographs you sent me. I have made the copies I wanted and discovered some interesting details. I will try to get them in the mail to you this week.

Regarding the lamps, I haven't had them apart, so I dunno if there is an asbestos pad between the mirror and the back of the lamp or not. Is the asbestos simply a cushion, or insulation so the brass does not get discolored, or what?

What sort of part should be in there to tighten the retaining ring? a clip, a screw? or ???

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:26 am:

I think that slot is for the mirror clamps...There's an asbestos pad behind the mirror? Does anybody know what the part number is?

So I can include that in the drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:14 am:

Keith, the E&J headlights have a flat piece of metal that Runs around the inside of the rear of the headlight just ahead of the reflector. Dave is right, the ring holds the mirror against the asbestos pad and the metal ring is secured by 1 brass screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 12:52 pm:

Isn't there a snap -like ring that hold the front glass in also? R.V. Anderson probably has the pads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

Keith, what model is your E&J brass light? Here is a picture of an E&J model 660 that I want to match up or trade for a JB B&B model 16. it has the slot in question.

lights & horns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

Darel-
I am not familiar with the E&J 660.
Here are my lamps:

Note there are no rear holes in the "no-name" bonnets

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:33 am:

It seems to be the same lamp as mine with out a name plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Keith

I picked up an E&J Headlamp identical to yours at a recent swap. It still has the steel wing an screw. Here are some pics that may help you. The lamp is spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

The lamp also has another angled slot under the smoke Bonnet with a pin in the steel piece so it slides to tighten the refelector.

Also have had painted the hood and radiator surround on the T Fronty with your 1911-12 Blue colour code and it looks great. Thanks for the information. Been very wet here so no painting of the body till approx 2 weeks.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

Woo these pictures were just too good to pass up...Guess I'll have to make an E&J assembly too, woohoo more fun! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration