Fiber glass to fit tightly wooden spokes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Fiber glass to fit tightly wooden spokes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Bollo - Argentina on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

I have original wooden spokes in "The Walker", my 26 touring. I wish to preserve them and is very difficult import parts now to Argentina.
A friend advised me to use fiberglass to keep them tight. The result surprised me because I had never used before fiberglass.
Fiber glass to fit tightly wooden spokes
At left, in the rough. At right, sanded
Adhered strongly to the wood, giving thicker and can fit tightly for travel we have planned for April: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/413892.html?1389282133

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

I'm looking forward to pictures of your fall tour. It should be quite an adventure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:30 pm:

This is something new as far as I know. Hope it works out for you. Don't think I'd head right out on a tour just yet. Not until extensive testing anyway. Frankly it's worrying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

That would worry me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:37 pm:

Danie

The fiberglass is fine, but what's important is what kind of resin you use.

I doubt if the polyester would hold up as its reputation for adhering to wood is not good.

With epoxy resin you stand a much better chance of long term use.

Let us know how you make out !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

Daniel,

I would use Abatron Liquid Wood Epoxy (2 part mix)and soak the spoke end that fits into the hub in the liquid. You must work quickly. Drying time is maybe 2 weeks

Bailey in SoCal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

If you can afford to do it this is the safest bet.... For you and the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

Do one wheel per month if you have too... I would go back with new spokes, Never short cut your wheels, remember your life is ridding on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 05:25 pm:

And I judging from what I can see of the tops they don't look too hot either.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration