Oils, greases and long tours

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Oils, greases and long tours
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

Since I have never been on a long summer tours (long being 100's plus of miles) but plan to, what if any advice given to lubs and fluids

1.Wheel bearings? I have modern wheel grease in the wheels now. I have a can of a heavy green wheel grease which is very thick and sticky. Which ought to be run?

2. 600w oil in rear end?

3. Water or anti freeze mix?

4. A non-detergent oil or a detergent oil but changed during the tour? (control yourselves here).

Any other thoughts?

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

modern wheel grease
140 wt high pressure lube
antifreeze
detergent oil
have fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

I changed the bushings in the fan last year before the season began. I had new gaskets and kept it full of oil. On a 700 mile round trip tour the fan seized. I give up. I am putting in sealed bearings now and eliminating this problem in the future. I should eliminate the fan, but I get scared of being stuck in traffic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

I run 85W-140 gear oil in the fan bushings as well as the rear axle. On the 2006 MTFCI tour in Iowa in 2006 I blew a rear axle neoprene seal the first day, but with the help of Tractor Supply I kept it oiled for the rest of the tour. We drove about a 1000 miles on that week long tour. Your front wheel bearings should be just fine as should be all your grease cups. I run red wheel bearing grease in my roller timer so it doesn't require oiling.

Carry a couple of quarts of motor oil under the front seat and a gallon of water and you should be fine. Jack Putnam is right on his advice on fluids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

IMHO, most folks adjust their fan belts too tight. Should be just tight enough to turn the fan--you aren't running 5000 RPMs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 02, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

1: I use the Wolf Head Red but any modern wheel bearing grease would be OK.
2: 600 as called for. There's no reason to use anything else.
3: anti freeze mix. If for nothing else preventing corrosion.
4: 10/30 or 40 in summer. Detergent.
Bring extras of all fluids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:52 am:

Same as Charlie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:07 am:

thank you all. just trying to prevent as many possible mechanical failures I can think of. Some advance thought surely will go a long ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:51 am:

You didn't ask about oilers, but some folks use bar oil there because it will last longer than motor oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

Steve, is bar oil the stuff you put in chainsaws? That is a pretty thick syrupy stuff. Not a bad idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

I use a mix of the super thick Lucas Engine Treatment blended with good synthetic oil in the oilers. You know, the kind of thing you're scared to run in an engine because you just don't know. Perfect for the oilers though. Super slick and just thick enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

I use the 600W oil available from the vendors in my oilers. I bet it is close to bar oil but the 600W oil really clings. JMHO.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration