Shipping a Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Shipping a Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Vasconcelos on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:08 am:

Hello everyone!

I am brand new to this forum. I am a huge Ford fanatic and am currently building a full-size replica of Henry Ford's first car...the Quadricycle. After I get that running I will be in the market for a Model T...something early like 1920 and below.

There does not seem to be many in New England. My question is how much does it cost to ship one? I saw a few in California but that is cross country as I am in Massachusetts.

I would love to have an old Model T that at least runs...I would be willing to restore it.

You will not find many 35 year olds who are hooked on Ford like I am. I've read 6 books about Henry Ford, built (2) of his stationary plumbing engine, and am building a Quadricycle.

Thanks for any help and input you can provide!

Chris Vasconcelos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:39 am:

Chris,

Back in 2007 I had a T shipped from California to Houston, Texas. I paid $800 for enclosed transportation. I thought that was fair.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:41 am:

Hi Chris,

Maybe Jim the transporter will add his knowledge....
in the meantime, perhaps you may want to contact a member of the Lang family with your question- Winchendon MA is not exactly your back yard, but a lot closer than CA.

<www.modeltford.com>

Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:43 am:

Chris...welcome to the club! And as you'll soon see from some of the more veteran posters...the "affliction". I still consider myself a "newbie" as only had T's for a bit over two years now. I'm glad to see at 35 years young you're on your way to realizing your dream. I'm already 59 and wish I could've done what you're doing. Keep it up! And like most, you'll soon find out you "just can't have one". I'm up to four T's and Model A, making up for lost time!

As for shipping, I think the average cost is around a buck and a half a mile. There's a guy from Dayton Ohio who is a member, ships all the time from all over, you can always see his ad in the classified section here. His name is Jim.

Good luck, and safe driving! Send pics of your Quadracycle. I love those too!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 08:45 am:

A friend just bought a '22 coupe off Ebay that was located in Maryland.
Cost him $2000 to ship it to Tacoma, Wa. in an enclosed truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:18 am:

Chris,
I bought a very nice 1914 T in Mass. last Aug. With a little work and patience they can be found. When you search locally you have an opportunity to inspect, and will meet some very interesting people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Chris -- Dave D's suggestion that you contact someone at Lang's is a good one. Lang's is the biggest and best vendor for Model T parts, so you will be getting to know them well when you get your T. In the meantime, they probably can help you to locate one. There are lots of T's in the east; you won't need to have one shipped from the other side of the continent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:27 am:

And BTW, this link from the MTFCA home page lists 3 Model T clubs in Mass.

http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#ma

Pay a visit to one near you; you'll be glad you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 10:56 am:

I second what Mike said. When you're ready to shop for a T seek out the ads and you'll find good cars for sale in New England and the rest of the East. Jerry's point about being able to inspect before you buy is also on the mark. Meanwhile, study to look for and what to avoid. Read some of the previous posts on this forum with excellent guidance from Bob Coiro and others on shopping for a T. And when you do take the plunge, here's a good starting point:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:33 am:

Jerry & Steve have it. Seek a bit in your area. Ask a club in the area too. Their out there. Here in N.J. I've found 3 within 35 miles of home. This in a "non-T area". I'd advise not to buy a car on photo's alone any way or to buy one without a title. Another possible aid from contacting a club is something I highly recommend: If at all possible have someone with you that knows T's when looking. A final word. Don't lose your mind over the first one you find. Don't settle for one body style over another because it's there. Figure out what you want and look for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Vasconcelos on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Wow! Thank you everyone!

This is all good news...I definitely came to the right place. I'm going to look into the Lang family as suggested as well as some of the local T clubs.

I am in no rush but do not want a good deal to slip by. I have never owned a Ford and I think owning a Model T would be a great start!

I am very much looking forward to participating in the forum and learning as much as I can from the experts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

On shipping, I go to a web site called USHIP for bids within the US I took a Model T to Chicago for an enclosed shipment to Scotland landing in Liverpool enclosed pod. I believe the cost was $ 700 from Chicago to Liverpool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

To ship a Model T...

First get a really, really big box and then buy 2,342 books of stamps and...well it's fun to see the postman try to get it into his truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

Wow, David, $700 from Chicago to Liverpool! How long ago was that? I just paid $1200 NJ to Felixstowe UK in a container.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

Jem about 18 months ago. The buyer took my advice and went on the shipping bidding sites. It took about a month to get the low bid then the car sat in Chicago warehouse (shipping consolidator ?) waiting for 2 more cars to ship in the same container. I guess that is how they keep the cost down

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

Jem, by using bidding site I got a 1926 up from around Orlando to Indiana for 450 in a truck hauling riding lawn mowers !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:58 am:

Chris,

Buy locally ...

You will support your economy and have a chance to inspect your car with possibly a new friend you make thru a local chapter ...

If you have to transport a vehicle:

DO NOT use a broker

U Ship is a Broker

Talk directly with who is going to haul your car

Pay no deposit

Make sure there are no additional costs or surcharges

Make sure your car is coming to you direct with no transfer

Good luck !

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 08:00 am:

Jim question. "why not use a broker?" Since I have used them many times with no problem, and wish to avoid problems, what problems have you had with brokers that I should avoid them ? The services I have had from bidders for my shipping have been about half the price initially quoted, no damages, friendly ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 08:04 am:

I would recommend when shipping a model T that one reviews all the search comments about shipping and trailering to prevent damage these include if shipping open trailer

never cover the T in a cover (paint damage)

on closed models ship them backwards

on open tops lower the top, secure seats and floor boards and especially the lowered top !! to prevent wind billowing damage, I tie a tarp tightly as a wind break on lowered top to prevent wind billowing under the lowered top folds

wire shut the hood

any other suggestions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 09:29 am:

Chris,
I should have mentioned in my earlier post that Intercity Lines, a large reliable transporter specializing in classic cars is headquartered, near me, in Brookfield, Ma. Seems to me since their trucks and drivers eventually need to get home, they may be a good bet for quotes.

Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Chris - I am not sure why you think that there are very few Ts for sale in New England. There are at least 2 currently listed in the Central NH Model T Club newsletter One is a 1917 MODEL T TOURING - 90% ORIGINAL PAINT -NEW WHEELS - NEEDS TOP & UPHOLSTERY -
PROVEN TOUR CAR - $7500.00 and the other is a 1923 Woodie.

A quick survey of Craig's list in Mass, NH, CT RI, VT and Maine brings up more. All you need to do is poke around a bit. I bet that you can find one within a day driving of Fairhaven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

Chris Send me a pm I know of about 20 very nice T's in your area Because I am only a stones throw away from you. If you want help looking for a brass car Contact Ed Stien

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

I agree getting a car CLOSE to home where you can meet the seller, start and drive the car is the BEST way to buy. Also consider posting an add in Craigslist that you want to find a Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Vasconcelos on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:49 am:

Folks...once again thank you all for the valuable input. I guess I should have looked closer into Craig's list for local T's.

I'm now doing my best not to disrupt things at the house...with the little lady. If I can fit the car in my 12ft x 12ft shed then I can but one without too much disruption. It may be a tight fit but the only way to get one without creating WW3 at home.

I've made a couple of calls...I would love to see one up close...it may make my purchase easier. My budget may be too low...but I do not want to wait 20 years to get one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

WoW -- Spencer can sure throw stones a long distance :-) Something like 120 Miles !!

Folks in Providence RI need to be careful about short falls!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration