Which is Better a Holly NH or a vaporizer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Which is Better a Holly NH or a vaporizer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ramon Baez on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:07 am:

my T came with a vaporizer carb, and I rebuilt it but still can't seem to get it to run, so I was looking at just going all out and getting either one of those new one's that you need to install a fuel pump or look around for a good used holly, but an I just adding problems, should I stay with the vaporizer carb.? is there any good place that sell good re-built carbs at a good price.? any input will help

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:13 am:

N/H is best in my book, New ones on sale today at Bob's
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:15 am:

If you want original, 26-27 came with the vaporizer. If you want it to run it's best the NH is better, or the kingston L4 is also very good. However you will need to change the linkage to use either the NH or L4.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Kingston L4. If you have a vaporizer on it now you will need the valve cover with the hole in it, make sure the web between 2 and 3 cylinders is broke out and the correct intake and exhaust manifolds. Also the lever on the throttle rod is in a different place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:21 am:

You can visually check the valve cover for the hole. When I converted my '27 to NH the cover had the hole and the gasket didn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

I have run both the vaporizer and NH on my cars. The NH requires a mixture adjustment from idle to road speed, and the vaporizer does not. Set it and forget it. The vaporizer does require a few cranks when starting cold, and the NH does not. I don't have a favorite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

I wanted what originally came with my '27 touring so I took the NH that was on the car when I bought it off and switched to a vaporizer. It took me 3 rebuilt units before I finally got one that worked. They all ran fairly well but getting them started cold was very difficult. Finally I got one that started easily and ran well. Why? I have no idea. What Ed says is true about the adjustment. Adjusting the vaporizer seems to make no difference. Not so with the NH that requires adjusting from time to time. One thing that I have found it that cold starts require full choke for four or five pulls through compression before starting. When warm, the vaporizer gives me a free start 7 out of 10 times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

My '26 tudor came with a factory Holley vaporizer...and the valve cover with the hole in it as well as the open web. I'm switching it to an NH. Simple is better in my book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

I switched from vaporizer to a Holley NH and a Wilmo combination manifold. Works great! Cold starts require two pulls with full choke and engine starts on third pull,.....EVERY TIME!

Thought I'd post a bit of info that might be helpful,.....my '27 depot hack did NOT have the hole through the block for the throttle linkage, however, I bought a linkage set up from one of the major suppliers (think it was Lang's) that allows the original throttle linkage that comes over the top of the cylinder head to be used, and this set-up attaches to the head at the top, and then runs straight down to the NH carburetor at the bottom. No hole through the block necessary. Very well made accessory carb. linkage kit with very easy installation and really works great,....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:16 am:

The vaporizer is great if you are driving your T in Minnesota in winter using 20's quality fuel. Otherwise, the NH or Kingston L4 is best. If you are changing over and have a block without the hole in the center, it is a simple matter to break out the thin cast membrane with a punch. The block was made to make this possible. I have done it to several blocks. We call them virgin blocks. There is no need for complicated adapter linkage. You will also need a hole in the cover and gasket, also easy. You will like the improvement. The vaporizer was brought out to use fuels that were declining in quality, much like the change from the low head to the high one with lower compression was made earlier. Modern gas does not require a vaporizer.
Fordially Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:41 am:

In my experience the best carburetor is the Kingston B-1 gasifier. The NH is a very good carb. If an NH needs to be adjusted from high to low speed, it probably has the float adjusted wrong or an internal passage plugged. I am not a fan of flapper carbs like the Holley vaporizer and the L4 because they make the incoming air do work (lifting the flapper) so they tend to flow poorly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 06:27 am:

Never had any trouble my L-4...it runs great on my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:55 am:

The NHs I have rebuilt have run very well on my car and others with no adjusting required after initial set (they also respond well to some internal passage smoothing). Can't ask for a simpler carb to live with and operate. Can't say that about the vaporizer units I have seen, but I have not run one personally. As Tom alluded, no carb will function as designed/expected if not rebuilt or maintained properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

In my experience, L4's run very smooth, but with less flow it is like running with a restrictor plate, or running at 3/4 throttle, or running with a flat camshaft. When you need power on a hill, or for high speed, it won't be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

Ramon there is a copper or brass tube and fitting that runs from the carb body into the vaporizer section. Its probably sucking air through a loose connection in that tube assembly. It will look like its Ok but its not. I assume that your steel plate does not have a hole in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:08 am:

I have an NH on my '25 coupe and never have to adjust it after it starts. I have tried to change the setting several times, but always end up pretty much back at the original setting. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:33 am:

Tom, I live up a canyon in the North Eastern end of the San Fernando Valley, it's all hills and horse country here, never had any problems roaring up any of these around here...stopping on the other hand...that's a different story, lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:25 am:

Martin, you seem happy with your L4, so I wouldn't recommend that you change. After all, good enough is good enough! :-) But, for someone who is considering a carb choice, whatever performance that you get out of an L4, you will get better out of an NH. The NH flows better than an L4 and that is a fact.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration