Warford problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Warford problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

I'm messing around with a cast iron Warford.
The cover was off when I got it and now that I'm trying to put it on the holes don't line up.
I have the forks in the grooves in the gears and the holes are off by about half a hole.
Kind of a bum pic but you can see one of the holes.
Should I have a different cover or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for any help!

u

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

You Might have it on backwards.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Did you try shifting the gears? That might allow the cover to move in place. The shifter on your type should go to the front.
Haven't worked with many iron ones though. Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

If it's on backwards the holes are off about two inches.
I clamped the top down with it in neutral and it shifted fine...holes off like the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

you should be able to feel the detent click into place when you slide the shift rails back and forth with a big screw driver or brass punch on the end of the rail. when the click in to the neutral position, the holes MUST line up. if not, a fork has moved on the rail, or a fork is bent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 01:57 pm:

thinking again, the detent notches are on the rails, so a fork out of place wouldnt matter because neutral is located by the detent notches. they wear, and springs become bent out of shape when the notch gets bad enough for the ball to get out of place. do you feel a nice solid stop when its clicked into a detent position?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

I've had the top apart and the detents all work properly.
Everything seems in real good shape...nice solid feel to the detents and the neutral lockout works good.
The forks are located right and don't appear to be bent.
I think I'm in the twilight zone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:19 pm:

Now you know why the cover was off and the price so good. Interesting dilemma, hopefully someone knowledgeable about these will post soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

Do you have a PTO side cover that you are trying to put on the top? Not sure what I am looking at but think that might be what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Looks to me like I could slot the holes out and bolt it on.
BUT I shouldn't have to do that.
I'm sure it would work though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

I know very little about the iron Warfords, but I'm sure you're right in believing that something is out of place when the holes don't line up. The paint marks show that the cover used to line up. Keep troubleshooting until you figure it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

Bob, I can't tell for sure, but from here it looks as though that cover didn't come off of that transmission. It looks like the holes are off diagonally rather than fore and aft. Can you post some better pictures? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

Oh, I was looking at the center cover not the entire thing. If shifting won't line it up I would put a punch in any corner and try to pull it back or forward and get a bolt in then go across to another corner and try to move it to get another bolt in then finish with the last 2 and see if it shifts. I have had the tops off many and never had this problem so hope your forks are where they should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

The hole pattern is right it's just 3/8" or so to the front.
I tried forcing it back but it starts to go into a gear with the shift rails in neutral.
The forks are lined up by a pointy bolt that goes thru the fork into the shift rail.
All that looks good.
I looked into swapping the forks but that really screws it up.
Is it possible this cover is off a newer or older model?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration