Neway cuter question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Neway cuter question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

I spoke with Neway today and have a couple of questions.

If I go with the chevy 350 valves will I need an 11/32 pilot, or an undersize? They are suggesting both be considered, but my guides won't be knurled so I don't think I need undersize.

I see recommendations on the 5/16 adjustable pilot, + 0.015 and 11/32. I don't need to set myself up for all possibilities, I need to buy what I actually need.

If my existing guides are standard can I take the cut straight to 11/32 or do I need to buy 2 reamers and remove the material in 2 steps?

What reamers are recommended? I know there are variations in types and suppliers. I won't be using these on many engines but I don't want to buy something I'll regret.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

I purchased two adjustable pilots from Neway, 11/32 and 8MM (5/16). If memory serves, the 5/16 will expand to fit the first oversize.
I think all the Model T parts suppliers sell the right style valve guide reamers. They are piloted and have spiral flutes. Avoid straight cut flutes. I almost ruined a 12 block using a straight fluted lifter guide reamer.
I don't know if the pilot on the 11/32 will enter a standard size guide. When I replace valves, I use the stainless valves offered by the Model T parts suppliers for the next size up so I don't go from standard to 11/32.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

The Neway cutter pilots I use have a slight taper so the size used fits tight in the guide. If the valve guide is 11/32, you use an 11/32 pilot. The taper makes it fit tight.

.030" is a lot to ask for most reamers; However, the piloted spiral reamers with a step work well. They aren't cheap though. And they should be adjustable for the stem to guide clearance.

You might be better off taking the block and valves to a shop and have them fit the valves and cut the seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:53 am:

Gary, Tom Lovejoy here - I think I have what you need. You sold me my first T, if I have what you need, you can use it free. Give me a call sometime, mornings best before noon - Tom. (310)710 - 6216

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:02 am:

Tom!! You've still got the Roadster??? Cool!! I'm at work, no time now, but will contact you. Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:34 am:

Yep, looking worse for wear - but I love that car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:15 am:

Gary, I doing that right now and just used a piloted reamer. The bore is a bit to small to allow the Neway pilot to seat properly. I'm going to need to hone the holes out a couple of tenths to allow the pilot to go in far enough to grind the seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 04:18 am:

Kim; what is the mfg and part# of the reamer? And is the Neway pilot the standard or undersize? The lady I spoke to on the phone mentioned an undersize pilot that is .001 under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:14 am:

Gary, the reamer is a Goodson 327, the neway pilot is 5/16 +15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

Thank you Kim. My understanding is the 5/16 adjustable pilot has a .020 range; -.003 to +.017. So if I go that route it should cover this.

Sounds like the next step is to decide exactly which valves to use and tear it down and see what I've got.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

Here's some info re the Manley valves I purchased for the T. These BTW are sold by at least one of the parts suppliers for Model Ts, they are stainless and come in both oversize stems. On mine, the valve faces were NOT 45 degrees, not by quite a margin. I had to cut them down using Neway's Gizmatic. It took forever, those valves are hard as a rock. Before I by another set, I am going to make sure the faces are the correct angle. Now I've also used NOS Ford valves and reconditioned used Ford valves if they didn't show burn or too much wear. The heads are cast iron and a breeze to cut on the Gizmatic. I know about the dangers of using two piece valves, but if you don't drive the hell out the car and use springs that are on the low side of spec, ie 24 lbs, I think you're safe. So far I haven't had a problem.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration