Brand New to Model T's !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Brand New to Model T's !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Marshall on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

Hi I am from New Zealand and have been given, yes given 2 Model T's. A Tourer and a truck, both 11923. Both pulled apart, in storage since the 60's and appear to be in relatively ok condition. Except the truck has been in a fire (not that bad tho)
I have restored 2 Austin 7's in the past and the model T is very different to them.
Are they reasonably "basic" to a new comer? Can a everyday guy restore one (or 2) The body on the tourer looks quite good with very little rust evident at this stage. I have a 1150 km return trip to collect them so it looks like 2 trips. The engine in the tourer was also started on a regular basis except for the last 10 years.
I am a little scared of this undertaking but what an opportunity !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Congratulations and welcome!
Model Ts are about as simple and basic as they come...although there are some differences compared to newer cars.
A couple reference books and ask questions here and you'll be in good shape.
Pictures would be nice...we'll cheer you on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

David,
Welcome. T's are relatively simple, just different. I suggest you do some reading first. "The Model T Ford, The Car That Changed The World", will get you familiar with T's. Read all you can here. Lots of knowledge and lots of different opinions, but, you can learn a lot here. Folks here from your part of the world, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

As they say, welcome to the affliction. As Bob and Mike said, it's relatively simple, but different. Forewarned is forearmed. Here's some info to get you started:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Hi David Where in Godzone are you? I'm in the Manawatu . Easy to work on and amazing parts availability -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Marshall on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

Hi Karl,
I live in Glen Oroua about 15 minutes from Feilding. I take it you have been hooked on the Model T. Cheers Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

Welcome to the hobby! The Model T is easy to restore and most of the assembly and disassembly can be done with common tools. There are a few parts which require someone with special knowledge to do a good job. The pouring of bearings and the grinding of the crankshaft. Other than the machine work to rebuild the engine and transmission, the amature can do a good job.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:32 am:

David,

You have probably already been in touch with the Model T Club in NZ. You may have seen a bunch of Ts in your area last week - the annual national meet was in Palmerston North. If you've not made contact yet, you could call one of the founder members, who also lives not far from you - Rod McKenzie at Property Brokers, Waipukurau on 06 858 7280 or on his mobile 027 446 7198.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:39 am:

Buy and STUDY the Ford T service manual. It is the standard for learning about T's. The old saying is always true "when it doubt read the instructions".

You can save much time and grief by doing this.
Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

Lucky Duck! Wish somebody would give me one, or two, or......

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration