Model T Activities in LA this weekend?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Activities in LA this weekend?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Hello all

It is currently -1°F in Edmonton with a 20 mph breeze and the Lady Michelle and I have just booked a last-minute trip to Southern California. We arrive in LA Thursday afternoon.

I would really enjoy spending one day this weekend with kindred souls at a Model T-related event (and she will really enjoy a day with Disney, bless her little-kid heart!)

Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:16 am:

I'm not sure if there are any tours or events, but the Peterson Auto Museum is a neat way to spend a few hours. It's not all T's, but it is car related.

The Queen Mary is in Long Beach, that's also good for a couple of hours.

I'm about an hour and a half up the coast, my T event is installing new pistons, if they arrive....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:38 am:

I can recommend you catch up with Humble Howard and Fast Frank from the Longbeach Model T Club. The are great hosts and are very knowledgeable guys. They get together at a burger joint in their speedsters for a lunch date each week. Their hospitality and company is first rate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:05 am:

You missed a tour of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, and the USS Iowa last weekend. The Horseless Carriage Club is having a national tour in Sierra Vista Arizona this coming week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:02 am:

This is a great place to start, not to far from LAX.
It's grow some what since I was there last ,looks like they have added an 09 touring.
George n LA. If I'd known I'd of cleared my sced, but I've got an advanced 1st Aid classes i need to take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:49 am:

Thanks all for your suggestions. We take off in six hours.

I drove my '26 Touring to our local club meeting tonight, a nine-mile round trip in -8°F air temp and wind chill of -22°F.

LA winter weather sounds reeeaaaal good right about now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:47 am:

Hey Chris, Are you coming in on the US Airways flight 2937. to Long Beach at 11:43?

My daughter will be on the same flight from YEG.

How long will you be in SoCal? I'm tied up most of the day but my c # is 714-4eight8-six0onethree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:57 am:

I might be open for part of Saturday if you'd like to make it down here to Huntington Beach?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:20 am:

Hi Gene, PM sent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:23 am:

Chris: So far I have this weekend open as well. You could ride in the 15 Touring this time :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

Chris, Sorry the weather is so Bad here today, don't think it'll hit 60. We're getting bit of yearly rain fall with a couple of sprinkles. Of course not enough to keep a T man inside even with the brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

Darn Chris, I first thought you meant lower Alabama! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Thanks Bill, PM sent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:26 am:

It looks like we'll meet up at Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach tomorrow. Get there by 6:00am for the best (or any) parking :-)
t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

We made it :-)
I'm sure Chris will add more photos later...

y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:55 am:

Fun times!

Friday morning I had the pleasure of meeting Kim Dobbins and seeing his wonderful collection of early original cars and more. Early Saturday morning I was over to Gene Carrother's place for a pre-dawn ride in the '12 Torpedo over to Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach for their early AM informal car show. Gene, Bill Harris, Mark Hood (Long Beach MTF Club prez) and I went out after the show for a delicious breakfast then stopped in at Ralph Rick's place for a visit. Notwithstanding all this early AM fun, I still make it back to our hotel in Anaheim before 11 AM checkout, gathered up my bride and headed east to Joshua Tree National Park for an afternoon of hiking in the desert and a raucous dinner in a roadside live music bar & grill.

Icing on the cake, I'm outside in shirtsleeves this morning and its -10°F back home in Edmonton. Life is good.

Decent photos were tough at Kim's, but this very VERY original '10 Touring was my my favourite. Original down to the (still functional) wiring harness this car is a treasure. That's an original '09 Touring body for Kim's 2-lever #300-something up on the shelf.

This pair of original California plates were on Kim's almost-as-remarkable '13 Touring… rear plate is solid and the front is screened (less wind resistance??)

05:54 Saturday morning and Gene's ready to go…

A small portion of the show at Donut Derelicts. The place was hopping well before 06:30 and starting to clear an hour later. All the cars were later models and/or modified other than our three Ts, one Model A and a very striking '31 Marmon Club Sedan.

The Ts garnered more than their share of attention — Gene's 12 Torpedo had a lot of admirers…

As did Jeff's '24-ish Martin Perry-bodied truck, with Bill "It was this big!" Harris in the duster.

Gotta love it…

Three Ts at the breakfast joint. I got to ride in every one!

Ralph Ricks wearing my new favourite T-Shirt:

Saturday afternoon in Joshua Tree National Park — Lady Michelle and an '30-ish V8 something with dual side mounts parked near an abandoned gold mine…

Engine room — is this perhaps a Cadillac?

Dash and driving compartment.

Another desert derelict near the old mine…

This is one I don't have a clue, except it doesn't look like my '47 Dodge flathead. Any ID or suggestions?

Guests to Joshua Tree are staying at the fabulous Harmony Inn, accommodation of choice for the Irish mega-band U2 when they were in the area filming their rock video of the same name. We trust the sheets have been washed since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:26 pm:

The old car in the desert looks to be a Lincoln model L, 1929-1930

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

Thanks David, this '30 Lincoln L engine photo looks like a match:

As does this 1930 Lincoln dash:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

And missing from my earlier post this morning, thanks so much to all the above folks for their kind hospitality and making me feel so welcome. Model T people are a wonderful community!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

Chris, Ya we sure had a fun time and thanks to this great forum we had a reason to get the T's out for another run and show! Was good seeing you again and congrats on your new health plan looks like its really working.

Don't forget to stop and see the Cloud Museum when you get down by Yuma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

Chris
Glad you have enjoyed your trip. Thanks for posting the pics. Especially Ralph.
I am up in the San Fernando Valley visiting family.

Living in Santa Fe, I hadn't seen one of these yet.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration