Question on an E-Bay Car Sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Question on an E-Bay Car Sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 11:37 pm:

Have any of you guys ever used e-bay for an auction type car sale? I've read through the stuff and it seems pretty cut and dried but you never know. Any pitfalls and did you find their "take" fair?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:29 am:

I have bought a couple of cars on ebay. Both deals went very well and no problems. Lots of pictures and call with lots of questions. I never bid only on the listing, so I cannot comment. Typical deal, looked car over and sent a question or two via email. Asked for phone number and then called. Bid and after winning made the deal to send deposit with an acknowledgement that the deposit would be refunded if I did not like the car when I inspected it on ...date. Traveled and picked up the car and paid for it.
No Problems and both times the cars were exactly as represented and all parties were happy.
Have heard some horror stories about buying a car sight unseen, but never experienced it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:29 am:

I have bought two trucks and one model T, pretty fair deal. Had a problem with the T, the folks were honest and gave me my money back. Be careful, you got to be willing to take it in the shorts from what I have seen. I got took pretty good on one truck, lot's of problems. Still have it and really now I like it. But plenty of not truths on E bay, use caution. Though most folks seem to be fairly honest. Pictures don't show a lot!!! Having said that, I like going through E bay - but it's a gamble, good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:59 am:

I have bought three vehicles through EBAY. I bought my work van (saved about 4k) about 4 years ago and it happened to be local. I bought a beautiful one owner 88 Mustang conv. and traveled 600 miles to get it. Seller was honest and told me everything he had done to the car since new. Also gave me all documentation on everything he had done. The last car was a 3 year old Lincoln MKZ that I bought for my wife. It had 7500 miles on it and was traded at a new car (toyota) dealership. All documentation was correct and we got what amounts to a new car for 5k less than local dealers were getting for cars with 30-40 thousand miles on it. If you look carefully and talk to the owner, I think you can get a good deal. By the way, my wife won't let me buy any more cars on EBAY for awhile. She bases it on a comment from my son who said, "you have used up all your luck and you will get burned if you keep buying like this".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:47 am:

Well then, you don't want to take either of them with you to Vegas!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:31 am:

I bought a beautiful 2000 Explorer Eddy Bauer for Mom after Dad passed away. She was in her 80's and I did not want her to learn the new controls, and she loved her rusted out 1997, so I bought the last model year of the platform, down south where it would be rust free. She loved it it was like a baby Lincoln. Seamless transaction, beautiful car, found a retired trooper with a wife in the airline industry to drive it to Michigan for me. Every thing was perfect. The next week the seller put on ebay, a cold air intake air cleaner, and tuner chip, and other hotrod parts for it. :-( My sister still drives the car, but I was not happy that it had been toyed with. Just an example of what you leave yourself open to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:45 am:

I have bought and sold about 30 cars on Ebay with no problems.

I only bid on no reserve cars

I only bid on cars by sellers with a good feedback long term ebay rating (honest)

I ask questions via message on ebay about the cars so there is a record of responses in the event of a dispute

I have found sellers and buyers with good reps very honest and friendly

If you are selling I have found listing all the good points first, then all the defects second then all the things you HAVE done to the car lets the buyer know what they are getting

AND I have been lucky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:51 am:

I've sold several cars on eBay. I can't think of an easier way to sell a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:03 am:

I think it must depend on the honesty or knowledge of the seller. A friend of mine purchased a 1913 roadster on eBay that looked good from the photos but was really a mess. The sellers were anything but honest about the car.
Eg, the pan had broken at the nose and was strapped and welded. The turtle deck was from a later car and longer than the bed. All mechanicals badly needed rebuilding. The sellers said it ran when parked a few years. There is no way that car could have run in the condition he received it. Its been a couple years and its still not on the road. The guy bought it for his wife and both were sadly disappointed. Buyer beware.
Another example. I almost purchased a car from a dealer who acquired it from an estate. The photos showed an absolutely pristine 23 touring car. Since the car was back east, I inquired on this forum if there was anyone who would inspect the car. A fellow kindly offered to do that. His report and photos were a surprise to me. Everything suffered. The paint job was not near so nice as advertised. The engine ran rough, the radiator had leaks that steamed when the car was running. The seller bragged that he drove the car that summer. Upon questioning, he admitted he had never driven a T before and the way he explain how he operated it made me shudder. I passed on that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:20 am:

pictures usually look better than reality. i have bought a few cars off ebay and cr, and they are usually not as good as i thought, although no real bad deals either. a friend of mine bought an old camaro off ebay and was told he could drive it home. so, he thought it would be a nice road trip for him and his son, now living with the ex. he bought 2 plane tickets from mpls to denver and when they got there the whole wire harness was burned up from the firewall forward. he asked the guy if it would run if he bought a harness, and the guy finally fessed up that it would not. money return is backed by ebay, but not 1000 $ worth of travel cost

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Ive sold lots of cars on e-bay. One went to the Chec Republic. Main thing is be honest with the description. Lots of photos of the defects and good things also. On buying I only bid on no reserve cars also. You can list a start price to be what you want but I hate hidden reserves. I do not bid on anything where they say "I reserve the right to end auction early" Look for sellers with high positive feedback ratings. Call them or e-mail any and all questions that you have. Do the e-mails thru e-bay ask a "question feature" Remember that a lot of the sellers while they are trying to be honest, they are not experienced on cars. Especially Model Ts. Sometimes the cars are being sold as part of an estate. Dad or Granddad may have been an expert. Mom, Son, Wife, ect may not have a clue. I useally take a deposit on the car if I sell one and balance due at pickup. I do not buy from anyone who wants all the payment up front within a few days after the auction ends. The main thing is be carefull, use common sence, and if it sounds fishey it useally is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:09 am:

Ditto on comments that photos can be deceiving. My son checked out a pickup for me in Dallas. Had hail damage that wasn't in the pictures or description. I bought a 5th wheel camper that wasn't quite as good as the pictures but very acceptable. The only car I have purchased wasn't ready for a road trip home. The seller refunded my deposit. Was irritated that I drove 700 miles when he knew I planned to drive the vehicle home. Very happy that I did not have it shipped. Call, ask questions, have someone look at it for you or better still look for your self.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:39 am:

I sold two cars on Ebay and everything went perfectly. I once traveled hundreds of miles to look at a Rolls Royce that was for sale on Ebay. Halfway there, I got a call from the seller. He moved the car outside so I could see it and he claimed it went into reverse by itself at high idle and plowed into a brick wall. I continued the trip anyway. The back of the car was pounded right in. Ouch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

I had a friend who bought a parade ready car from East of here. When the car arrived by truck there was not a piece of wood that was usable. The Motor would not run. The car was scrapped out, nothing of much value and the guy paid $8,000 for it. It was a black T. The last I heard the guy was so disappointed that he never had any thing else to do with Ts. Don't do it, there will be plenty of Ts in your area for sale that you can see.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

I went ahead and listed it.(it's a modern, not a T). Not quite as easy as regular item listing but I got through it OK. Insane # of hits so far (300+) and double digit watchers. Stated I won't pay for or arrange for shipping. We'll see how that goes over. Don't know if I'll be T ing again if the space clears out but we'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

If you are buying, DON'T TRUST THE PICTURES! If you can't inspect it yourself, get someone else to inspect it. My brother-in-law bought a boat on e-bay. Pictures showed a shiny clean boat on a nice trailer sitting in a yard of green grass. He drove 400 miles to get it, and there it was sitting in exactly the same spot as in the pictures, but the grass was no longer green, the trailer was rusty and the tires had long been flat and rotted, the gelcoat was faded, and the upholstery was sun rotted and split. It was junk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Cunningham on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

Bought my 1912 look a like on EBay..$3000 for the T, $1200 to get it here from back east..The pictures on EBay were accurate, there were no surprises...Had to buy a radiator and windshield frame...It runs fine and have had no problems just running it in parades...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 04:19 pm:

I'm selling Jeff not buying. And my pics are current and accurate as is the lengthy description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

I'm with Royce THIS time......lol.......ebay fees might be a couple hundred but you will reach a world market instantly.
I never sell anything using the "reserve" crap.
I put in the opening bid at the minimum price I'll sell and avoid extra "reserve auction" fees to boot.
Plugging in the minimum sell price tells people up front what's what and ends game playing before it starts.
I also run 3 day auctions exclusively.
Nobody WANTS to wait a week to find out if they were successful....... ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:13 pm:

Although I've not bought a whole vehicle on ebay, I'll say that I like buying from 3-day auctions. Not as many people see them, and sometimes I can get a really good deal. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 11:57 am:

I mentioned above that I gave a lengthy description. Guess what? Every question I've got concerns something mentioned in the ad. Are these people nuts or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Before I retired from the Aerospace industry, I gave a lot of Powerpoint presentations to peers and superiors. We were always taught (and drilled into our subordinates) that every slide should have an "action title" on the top in big letters that summarizes in one line the message you're trying to tell on the slide.

By the time most folks have read one or two lines, they're already losing interest and patience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

that doesn't surprise me a bit. i sell on ebay some times, and while its a big market, there are a lot of goof balls out there too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

You can extend that observation about failure to read to include the forum. Many times it's obvious from some people's comments that they didn't carefully read the question or bother to look at the links posted with it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration