OT- Full Steam Ahead Leon Serpollet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT- Full Steam Ahead Leon Serpollet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:43 am:

Full Steam Ahead Leon Serpollet: Early French steam car pioneers Serpollet and his brother Henri, worked together to perfect the flash tube boiler that introduced an efficient and new way to produce steam. With it and a new and innovative poppet valve engine, they had a winning combination on the road and the race track. You can learn all about it @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=113893

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:34 am:

Back in the 70's as I recall you could buy plans to convert a regular car engine to steam. I wonder if some of the ideas used were developed by these guys? The flash boiler was used by Stanley and several others later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:52 am:

Mark, I also remember seeing those advertisements at the time.

White used a circular flash tube boiler as seen above. The Stanley used a conventional boiler as seen below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

Sweet roller lifters on the camshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

That's quite a photo, David. Thank's for posting it.

Notice how each person looks "busy" but really isn't? Also interesting is the fact that each of them is looking in a different direction, sort of like they were told to not look at the camera by the photographer.

I wonder if thee are any Garder-Serpollet Four Cylinder Superheated Steam Motors still in operation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

Henry there is at least one in the UK and you can watch in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF51rr1D6tE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

Now that's really something. Thanks for the link David!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration