Differential spider with brass insert, what year?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Differential spider with brass insert, what year?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

Does anybody know what year this was used,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

2009. :-)
Looks like a modern adaptation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:41 pm:

No I have a few of these, this one is nos, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

Not real early, those had narrower spider arms and bushed spider gears. I opened an original 13-14 RE and it had that type of spider. They are not that uncommon. If someone were to go original they would need the narrow axle gears to insert two fiber washers between the backs of the gears and the inside of the carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

Yes but the one I have the arms are stepped, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. The one you have is the same one I found in a 13-14 RE. The one in my photo is earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

I found a stepped spider with brass inserts in the three little gears in my 1914 touring. They were totally worn out. Also found a Babbitt washer on one side of the carrier and a brass one on the other side. Thanks to Jack Daron for advice and parts I was able to put it all back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

Bob, Your dads reprint of the early T parts book shows the non-stepped version of the spider P/N 2526. I believe it was used 1909, 10 and maby 11. I believe that they increased the diameter of the bearing surface to improve wear. I believe that the stepped shoulder was used 1912-1914 or close to that. I have several in my collection also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:08 am:

Not uncommon. I think Ford started phasing those out during 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:03 am:

I, once, rebuilt a 13 rear axle. It had the same bronze bushed spider. The bronze bushing was thoroughly worn out; had at least a 1/16" of 'slop'. Replaced it with later style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

The axle gears are a different size in those. You can't mix and match with the later ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

Jack, I changed out everything but the housings; all gears, axles, all differential parts, everything. Was still running nice when the guy I sold it to; sold it to another buyer after him, at least a decade later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

Measuring spiders and gears today. This is out of my 1915 roadster. Is it an unaltered 1915 rear axle? Probably not. The bronze thrust washers are spiral grooved. Those are not original, are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

My 16 coupelet had the same spider with brass insert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

Steve, I believe bronze washers were used until 1915. I rebuilt a 13 rear axle once that had spiral grooved bronze washers.

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration