Odometers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Odometers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

Any idea what year odometers became standard equipment ?

Trying to get my 16 touring insured and they want to know the odometer reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:18 pm:

Tell them in 1916 a speedometer was optional equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 03:36 pm:

I believe they became standard during the 1909 year, but by 1915 the production of speedometers could not keep up with demand, so they were dropped from standard equipment. I read somewhere that in 1915 if you accepted the car without the speedometer, the price was dropped $3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

Just enter N/A or None. Then see what happens when you tell them the car has three doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

My first answer would be "I didn't buy the car new so I don't know" - plausible

If they specifically asked you about an odometer, tell them the cars only came with a speedometer - it ain't a lie, just sayin'

If the car doesn't currently have a speedometer/odometer, then the only honest answer is 00000

Regards,
Garnet

Your mileage may vary. Contents may settle in shipping. Do not remove this label. Do not attempt this at home. Do not stare directly at the sun. Do not sit on hot surface. Course drivers are professionals. Your weight loss is dependent on multiple variables. Keep right except to pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

Do not stand or sit. Ran when parked. Write if you get work. Hang by your thumbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

Odometer Reading?? Do they know it also doesn't have Real Brakes, Turn Signals, Seat Belts, Air Bags or a Stereo? Ha Ha... Picture of the Speedometer on my early 1914 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:15 pm:

Maybe you should insure it with Hagerty. They know old cars and will not even as the mileage.
http://www.hagerty.com/

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:13 pm:

Thanks Guys....This is State Farm who insure a bunch of stuff for me...I'll jump through this hoop a couple of time and take my business elsewhere if need be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

I told this story before but when I went to get plates for my racer I figured I was in for a fight because I just always have bad luck. Sure enough, I walk into the place and here's a gray haired old woman behind the counter and she looks like she's as fun as a rusty comb. Right off the bat she asks "how many doors does it have" and I instantly dropped my head down, shaking it as I answered "it doesn't have any doors". "How many people can sit in it?" she quizzed and I replied two. Then she matter-of-factly sez "if it seats two people then its a two door" ...... oh really methinks quietly. That was the worst of it and in less than 15 minutes I was on the way out with my plates. The best advice I can give you Michael is leave any attitude out on the sidewalk, and pretend the person behind the counter is the All Powerful King Poopy-Doopy, and for a few minutes just stroke their ego until you get your plates - then smile and quietly walk out. The 'deer in the headlights' look might help you too. An odometer reading for an 85+ year old vehicle is hardly required but if you have to ask for a manager then do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

insurance guys want your money, so many of them are agents for many different parent companys so they can take your money before you leave. really michael your state farm guy has no connections with hagarty, jc taylor, or any of the other specialty car insurers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

Hagerty was much cheaper for my three Ts than my regular company and I got to pick my own value for each car. I would at least have them give you a quote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

Hagerty understands classic cars like our T's. Probably cheaper and NO stupid questions! ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

I'll certainly check them out...Thanks guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

I've been pleased with J.C. Taylor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:19 am:

I have my '25 coupe insured with State Farm, which also insures my other three vehicles. I didn't have any problem getting it insured, just had to take some pictures to show that it wasn't a hot rod or modified much. I don't recall the rate , but it is very reasonable, or I wouldn't have used them. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

I have seven collector cars insured with JC Taylor. They have been fantastic to deal with for the last 30 years. My dad was with them almost 50 years. Great folks, excellent customer service, no complaints. Very reasonable rates, Hagerty and the rest can't compete in my opinion.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration