Fish Tailing ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Fish Tailing ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

Berthoud usually has pretty mild climate year around. Our average winter temperature is 45 degrees. When it does snow its very little and is gone in about one day. This January has been different. We had one morning when the temperature was only 3 degrees. Its has been cold enough the last week that the snow has been doing very little melting.
snow on trees
The four lane road into Berthoud has been mostly clear of snow for my daily coffee with the gang. Highway 52 into Berthoud however have been slick as an ice skating rink. the highway from the four lane into Berthoud is only about a mile but I felt the T fish tailing more than once.

Thursday its supposed to be -10 degrees. I hope to try out my 12 for coffee, but I don't have any side curtains for it. I think it will be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

Interesting isn't the word I would choose!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:20 pm:

I agree! My '12 has side curtains if you can call them that, but since there's no doors, that's basically all they amount to. Just come up to the middle part of the opening. Useless actually. So it stays in the garage in the winter! We're supposed to get 6 to 10 inches of snow by Wed. morning, so once I plow out the driveway, I might take it out for a "Photo Op"...the red should be pretty nice against a freshly piled up white background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

Fortunately, a T responds very well to letting up on the throttle when wiggling on ice. The tires make a nice rudder. We fish tailed a little this morning but managed to stay in our lane.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

dave i think you need one of those four wheel drive t's. that video of carnage's plowing thru snow is amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 12:46 am:

Clayton Swanson:

I was on a tour in Main and met the two brothers that manufacture the front wheel drives. Someday I would like to find one. I did get stuck the other morning on the way to coffee in front of my shop but managed to dig my way out. I was a little late for coffee but every one was still there. I got a mile or so to get to highway 287 which has enough traffic on it that its usually pretty good. Its getting to highway 287 and the last mile into Berthoud that is tough.
Trail Ridge with fresh snow.

trail ridge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 01:12 am:

Tim Wrenn:

Why do you keep your cars in the garage in the Winter that 20 Roadster looks like it would make you an ideal winter car. Today's newspaper says minus 6 in the morning and more snow, I am really looking forward to that. If its snowing too hard I won't be able to take my 12 because I never did put a wiper on it. I may have to take one of my other Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 01:12 am:

Tim Wrenn:

Why do you keep your cars in the garage in the Winter that 20 Roadster looks like it would make you an ideal winter car. Today's newspaper says minus 6 in the morning and more snow, I am really looking forward to that. If its snowing too hard I won't be able to take my 12 because I never did put a wiper on it. I may have to take one of my other Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:16 am:

Dave,

Just curious...do they use a lot of salt on the roads out there. Most of the T guys I know around here leave their cars in the garage until the roads are salt free. My regular vehicle looks pure white from road salt accumulation, even though it is dark blue. I'd wash it, but I'm afraid of everything freezing solid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:54 am:

Northeners,
I've often wondered if road salt really causes snow and ice to thaw in sub-freezing weather. I know it really causes sheet metal rusting in Michigan. Granted, here in Texas we don't have near the problems with winter precipitation as ya'll but our TxDOT spreads crushed limestone on roads and bridges at critical times with no long term vehicle deterioration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:07 am:

salt is really a bad thing. some years when we dont get much snow they have to use it all up in order to get that state money for the next year (your tax dollars at work) and then its about an inch deep at intersections, and everything is covered with the stuff. if people would use a little caution we wouldnt need it, but many drive like its summer...untill they are upside down in the ditch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:08 am:

George,
You typed: "I've often wondered if road salt really causes snow and ice to thaw in sub-freezing weather."

Here in New Hampshire, I find that the really miserable driving is around 25 degrees and snowing. Something (road salt?) is causing the snow to melt and if it is snowing hard, a fair amount of slippery slush builds up on the road, and there is always some doofus in a 4 WD vehicle that passes at a speed that seems unreasonable for the conditions....sometimes to be found in a ditch further down the road. During the passing process, the windshield of my car becomes fairly well covered with slush - wipers work well as long as they don't freeze up. Also, maintaining a "safe" distance from the car in front to maintain not only a safe stopping distance, but also to allow the airborne slush & salt mixture to settle before I drive into it usually results in the car behind me passing me to occupy my safety zone!
Didn't mean to get sidetracked, but ....
By the way, the old timers made ice cream by adding salt to the ice water - made the liquid colder than 32 degrees ...

Think Spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:09 am:

Clayton,
Glad to see that we don't have a monopoly on those drivers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

The times I have driven a T in the snow were very enjoyable. Felt like the other drivers were made to drive at the same level as Lizzy. Gentle on the brakes, not to fast, smile a mile wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Kevin Wheliham:

Funny you should ask about salt melting the ice. I just asked one of the Colorado Dept. Of Transportation yesterday that same question. He said the is does little or nothing below 30%. IF!!! you get a clear day with lots of sunshine Mag Chloride (salt) does a super job. The 4 Lane is usually bare and dry on a clear day not too long after a snow.

Well I drove into town this morning. With the usual mild weather we have much of the discussion was the weather. All agreed that their thermometers in both their cars and homes read between -16 and -18. I especially enjoyed the daily trip to town in the 12. The only place I felt the temperature was my hands and my cheeks. I guess I will have to get mittons instead of gloves and a face mask. I did have trouble with my glasses fogging up and had to take them off.
With no side curtains I could tell the temperature was Low.
I did enough fish tailing on the road out to the 4 lane that I was glad to reach the 4 lane. The road where it meets the 4 Lane is super steep. It only lasts about 30 or 40 yards I stop at the top and then slowly work my way down. The T slid some but stopped before I reached the 4 lane. I sometimes have to wait a long time for a break in traffic but this morning I got right on.
picture

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration