OT - A little "detective" work needed. Trying to find out more about a Model K owner from N.Y.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - A little "detective" work needed. Trying to find out more about a Model K owner from N.Y.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

I've searched for some time for Heyward (Hayward) Shannon. His name shows up owning a 1906 Ford Model K Roadster (the "standard" Model K Roadster didn't appear until February 1907). This K was probably built on a 1906 chassis. If so, it would have been six inches shorter, along with some other differences.

This article appeared in the New York Sun newspaper, February 1907. The second highlighted section mentions the 1906 "six cylinder speedster":

I've found mention of the passing of "Heyward Shannon" Princeton class of 1904 in 1952:

There is a Model K Roadster that appears "professionally built" on a 1906 chassis remaining today. One of the previous owners says the car appears original to him, although no 1906 Model K roadsters were sold (that we are aware of) prior to the 1907 models. Below is a photo of the 1906 chassis roadster, along side a 1907/08 roadster:

Probably the most knowledgable Model K man alive wrote about this car in the 1980s. His description follows:

Any help finding more about Hayward (Heyward?) Shannon would be appreciated. I did find a few articles in the 1908-1911 time frame about a H. H. Shannon shooting (blue rock). Also, a H. H. Shannon was the manager of an ice company (Trenton N.J.) during this period.

Do you think this could be the pre production K roadster?

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

my mother used to do geneology reserch and her favorite tool was the us census. search each decade to find him, or his children, also listed if you find him. local church records, birth certs, death certs. better get going on it to finish by planting time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

Not much but it may help to fix the name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

This could be your man except I get the name "Heyward A.":

New York, State Census, 1915 about Heyward A Shannon
Name: Heyward A Shannon
Birth Year: abt 1882
Birth Place: United States
Residence Place: North Hempstead, Nassau
Relationship: Head
Color or Race: White
Assembly District: 01
House Number: 20
Line Number: 6
Page Number: 28

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

I found his listing in the Princeton yearbook, but the image won't post in a readable format. Shoot me your email address in a p.m. and I'll send it your way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:45 pm:

Rob
If you can find the obituary printed in the Long Island paper, it should list the attendants
(relatives) at his funeral service.
This was how I was able to locate Vergil Whites
(of the Snowmobile fame) grandson and granddaughter. It gave me names with city and state, then just computer searching to find then. Hope this might help, it did take a while.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

Between 1920 and 1930 he remarried, but the census records don't indicate that he had any children. He also doesn't appear in anyone's tree on Ancestry. Likely an indicator he doesn't have any closely related living descendants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

I can get you information on the Temeroski family. Their "museum" was on Van Dyke up by 25 Mile in Shelby Twp. He was and undertaker from I think Centerline, Mich which is fifteen miles south of Utica and closer to Detroit. A grand son is an attorney in Utica. Many nice cars including brass and an original Tucker. Place was there until the late 70's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

Thanks guys. I wondered what "sportsman" meant in the Sun paper description. There are several news clips of H. H. Shannon placing at trap shoots. This one from 1915:

I would really like to find more information on his six cylinder "speedster" (Model K roadster). Thank you for all the help,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

Why not contact Bill Yunt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

Don,

I don't know Bill. If you have contact information, please pm it to me. Bill wasn't the person who wrote the description above, but was a previous owner of the short wheelbase roadster.

thanks,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

Hi Rob,
I have the contact info for Bill.I will pm the info to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

Thanks Don and Scott.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration