OT - What they were driving in Massachusetts, 1908

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - What they were driving in Massachusetts, 1908
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:06 am:

I thought the variety of cars listed was interesting. Packard was well represented with Stevens a solid second. Only two Fords (Model K and I would guess an NRS), and only one Maxwell.

I may have missed a few, or the numbers may be off (I reserve the right to be wrong :-) ):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:42 am:

They listed the people that attended the race but there was no info about the race or who won!

Can we get the Indianapolis Star to list the spectators at the 2014 Indy 500?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Fred,

I can probably find the race results.

This is a month before the Model T reaches the market. I bet the numbers a year later in September 1909 would show more Fords.........

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:04 am:

This wasn't just your run of the mill race.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Strang said he would bring home the trophy in the article above,

And he delivered:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Had to be an exciting time back then, considering so many people were probably still saddling up horses to go watch these "newfangled" machines race around. Looks like #3 in the picture has a left front tire going flat!

Nice articles Rob.

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 09:00 am:

Lowell was - is a mill town with an interesting history.

According to UMass Center for Lowell History the 1908 race was a road race and the first in Lowell.

http://library.uml.edu/clh/Aut03.htm

This is the approximate route

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration