1915 Hayes Body and Wood under seat..need pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1915 Hayes Body and Wood under seat..need pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

I have a 1915 touring that is missing the wood doors under the front and rear seats. Can anyone supply me with pictures of some originals? The body even has its original hinges for the doors but its missing the doors themselves. On the wood seat frame in the front there is a random number: "111456" and then it is stamped "H-2-15". So the body was made by Hayes, and it was made in February of 1915. Is Hayes a less common body company?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

The number on your seat frame is the body number from the vender and date. I have the drawings that show the seat frame construction. I will have to scan them in for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Here are some simple drawings for the front seat lid.The drawings show for 1913-14, but are the same for the early 1915 tourings and some 1918-19 tourings with the all wood seat frame construction. The boards are random widths. Make your front and rear seat lids to fit your car. Ford had five vendors making for them. The rear seat lid has the same construction as the front one, no hole for gas tank fill. I have some original wood lid and some have a finger hole and others do not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Leon -- Thank you for those drawings and notes. That's some good information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 06:42 pm:

Alex,I have a Hayes body on my 15 touring. Holler if you need a picture of something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

Leon, those drawings are great! Thanks a lot. Also jack thanks very much for the offer. These under the seat lids are the only wood pieces that I am missing, but if I need a pic I will certainly contact you. Thanks again everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Here is a picture of a 13 roadster and a 1918-19 touring with all wood seat construction. They are made the same way as your 15. The 1918-19 in the pictures did not have a lid on the rear seat. It has a center board for support like the 1926-27's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:53 am:

More pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

Does anyone have a pic like Leon's next-to-last one, showing the seat back wood and cover for a late teens/early 20's Roadster with the steel seat frame? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

Leon-
I think that 1918-1919 car gas tank cover is a very old home-made replacement. I believe it originally had a steel gas tank cover. The wood covers for the 1918-1919 era had wood around the outside area, too like on the 1913 roadster, (bow the hatch opening was wider. The top irons would have had the bottom bent 90 degrees like shown on the re-wooded '14.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

That 1918-19 has all wood in the rear seat construction and metal seat frames in the front. That body is the only one I have seen with a wood toe panel instead of the metal toe panel. During the war years the vendors had a shortage of metal,so you will see all kinds of wood and metal combinations. They may have made a wood seat cover
in place of a metal one do to the metal shortages.????

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration