Idiot Light for a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Idiot Light for a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Some of you may call this blatant advertising; others may call this informative.

Read http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/268729.html

Then go to tbay if you want one. Key in, "Model T idiot light"

or: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eveready-Automatic-Oiler-Idiot-Light-and-Sender-for-Mode l-T-Ford-NOS-/161216855577?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25894 5fe19&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:09 am:

Blatant advertising, Ralph. Is there a Forum oldtimer discount on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:25 am:

I suppose there's a whole bank of warning lights we could have:

"Warning, Engine Oil Leaking From Left Rear Wheel"

"Warning, Commutator Needs Oil, Or Maybe Oil Cleaned Off It, Or Something"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:29 am:

Thanks for the clarification Ralph. I had thought this was an idiot light.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:49 am:

That's a great accessory! I have 5 complete units I picked up ten or so years ago. I run lint screens on our T's because I run cotton bands so the "idiot light" won't fit now. I'll be changing over to wood bands in spring on the T I drive the most so I can run one of the idiot light accessories, It's great insurance against the fickle finger of fate causing fatal oil loss undetected while cruising down the road.

Case in point, I was driving home from work in a 1923 pickup roadster I have since sold and stopped at a traffic light a mile or so from work. A guy next to me leaned out his window and pointed to my car and shouted "your leaking oil". I pulled off the road, lifted the hood and the outside oil line had snapped where the line meets the block. It was squirting oil like someone cut your jugular vein! I stopped the engine, Added oil, crimped the line shut and drove home. If the guy hadn't pointed out the leak the engine would have been toast not to soon after that traffic stop.

An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Here's a link to the complete unit I post a while back under Accessory Of The Day.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/268729.html

Richard, Your look great in brass!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:49 am:

You're getting confused Rich, that's an idiot with a light LOL :^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:12 pm:

Jay, your lint screens must be different from the one I bought from Lang a dozen years ago. There's no interference in my car.

The sender cup is well forward of the screen.
-----------------

No discount for oldtimers, Jem, but I will donate half the proceeds of this auction to either the webmaster, or MTFCA for the Forum.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Richard's photo could be the start of a new humorous thread titled "T-Selfie".
Selfie is now a real word, so I hear :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

James E. W. Rosson
Assignor to Gish Company
Louisville, Kentucky
Lubricating Device for Internal Combustion Engines
Patent number: 1587922
Filing date: Oct 23, 1924
Issue date: June 8, 1926
http://tinyurl.com/n6wu52a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:36 pm:

O.K., dumb question number 701......What is the recommended best way to wire in just the sender and light such that it will function while running but not have power once the engine is shut off?

Richard, I love the idiot light. Would make a fine costume for halloween party that involved old car people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:33 pm:

Wire the hot side of the bulb to mag post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:50 am:

I thought about that but pondered how much current comes off that post and would it not blow a little 6 volt bulb? Or am I missing something again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:11 am:

I think it comes with a mag bulb; the reason for the large size holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Out of the hundred plus of these units that were found and sold a while back has anyone got the complete unit set up and the reservoir working???

Ralph, Good to know the trash rack won't interfere with the sender. I will be installing one in the near future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

My 1919 has this oil gage -

You could add a contact to the needle and have it turn on a light, but real men want to see gages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

Fred, what is the other end of that gauge like? New thread? Seems I've seen this before but can't remember how the sending device works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:19 pm:

They say "Real Men" Don't Eat Quiche either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:22 pm:

I just realized that some folks might call any lamp attached to an idiot an idiot light!

Available at Harbor Freight for less than $5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Love your sense of humor Rich !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:15 am:

Thanks Bud. Sometimes I can't contribute to the intelligent conversations. I'm glad Steve J. started the "Selfie" thread. My T's all have a sense of Humor and I'm just trying to keep up with them.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

There is a tube with a float connected to the bottom oil petcock.
I couldn't find a picture in my files and I am having a medical problem that stops me from taking one at this time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

Is it a solid little rod that connects the oil level float to the gauge?

Fred, sorry to hear you are not well. Chin up and get well ASAP please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:25 am:

There is a wire in an outer covering that looks like a long spring.

Thanks Eric. A simple nose bleed sent me to the ER and then the operating room twice for a procedure where they put a tube in my groin and then placed beads of some type in the capalaries of my nose.
It's a bit like trying to stop a leak in the radiator thru the transmission inspection cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 09:58 am:

Wow Fred it's a long way from your groin to your nose! I guess you had no choice but to "groin" and bear the procedure.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration