Mining for genuine Ford parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Mining for genuine Ford parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

I dug into another rear axle today to see what I could find.

Some nuts take a bit of extra leverage...

...and some bearings need a little persuasion to come out.

This one was early enough to have the enclosed spool held on mostly by studs (one bolt).

The differential carrier was held by studs, not bolts.

This was the first one where I've found both babbitt thrust washers intact.

Original Ford equipment.

Also genuine Ford. (Avoid those spurious parts.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

That's pretty cool, Steve. I had no idea babbitt was so porous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

I didn't realize that Ford made a 12 tooth pinion. I thought they were all aftermarket. How many teeth are on the matching ring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:51 pm:

No keyway so not pinion, spider gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Thanks Kerry. I knew it didn't make sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

Dave,
Maybe it didn't make sense but here is a for real Ford script 12 tooth pinion. Early sedan gears 12-48 that were offered before Henry started cutting the infamous 10 tooth. The other larger 12 tooth is an aftermarket 12-39.
a
b
c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

I believe that BR stamped on the script gear is the beginning of a telephone number. :-)

Note that on the aftermarket gear the keyway location is off 1/2-tooth, putting the corners in line with the valleys between the teeth. Those have been known to break there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:02 am:

Daniel, the babbitt in the rear axles isn't the same as the babbitt used in the engine. The color suggests lead content. No lead in the engine. The lead may contribute to the tendency for old thrust washers to break, might be some kind of internal corrosion just like in old pot metal parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:50 am:

Mike, i think you are right "BR 549"

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

Thank goodness! I was beginning to wonder whether you guys were paying attention. :-)

Especially after "no comments" on my mention of "Bye-bye, Miss American Pie" on Feb 3rd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

Ah...thanks for the clarification, Roger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

Mike sometimes when I think of a good one people who know me just roll their eyes and make no comment.

You did have two follow ups that day.
Is there a emoticon for that situation?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration