Transmission question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Transmission question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

T

T2

Which is correct, 1 or 2 bushings for break drum shaft?

(Message edited by admin on February 07, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Use two; better support.

If I remember correctly (always a dicey proposition) Ford used two through the '25 model year and with the Improved cars they "cheaped out" and used only one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Your choice.

The reason the second drum bushing was eliminated was being that with such a close proximity to the driven plate bushing at the near end of the brake drum bushing, one bushing would suffice. The Service Bulletins made note of it and advised to use the "special" step reamer to align-ream both drum & driven plate bushings at once with the driven plate and brake drum indexed to each other for proper alignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

Unless you have a captured driving plate ie 26-27 style, the bushing is important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

This is an NOS 1926-27 brake drum that my dad obtained from a Ford dealer 60 years ago.

It has two bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Dean,
Last year on this forum there was a discussion about how rebuilding the transmission."Model T Transmission, The Way We Do".Herm explain what and how it should be done.
I saved it as a Word document but it is to big to attach (8.9MB).

Good luck

Andre
belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:14 am:

What's the best way to tighten the flush rivets on a used brake drum that is not cracked. The one I have has replaceable lugs....it's worth saving.
Worried that trying to expand the original flush rivets with a hammer/punch may crack the drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:32 am:

You need to get new rivets and replace the old ones. Re-seating rivets just doesn't work. I did it once using a press at work that was made to do rivets. Ran the tranny for the season then tore it down to see how the rivets had held up. They were loose again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:43 am:

Agree with Warren. When changing the drum from one hub to another I install bolts in every hole and then rivet them one at a time with new rivets. After setting the rivets you must chuck in a lathe to face off the rivets flush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:00 am:

Erik, glad you posted that photo. I recall seeing somewhere that Ford eliminated the bushing sometime during 26-27 production. I think its important to include and I have done so in my rebuilds regardless of the year. I think some rebuilders don't include it because it requires machining all three bushings to align with close tolerances, not an easy task. Perhaps not so important with the captured driving plate, but in my thinking, is required on the earlier style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:56 am:

Herm, Why do you use only one bushing on the brake drum?? "END QUOTE"

I leave them out because they are not needed. Ford left them out in late 1925, and later.

The only way the oil gets into the Brake Drum bushings is the hole in the Drum shaft, or what can get in the ends of the bushings.

With the inside bushing left out, that whole cavity from the Driven Gear, to the Drive Plate bushing is oiled, and acts as an oil well.

It is also harder to Align 3 bearings, rather than two.

With 2 Bearings you can bore them separate, as long as they are straight with the housings, but with 3 or more, they have to be align Bored, or align reamed.

There are service manual copies also explaining the one bushing being left out.

See this link for the pictures and the whole story.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/375649.html?1375578307

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:56 am:

I have to agree with the Warren. The brake drums I have seen that the rivets were staked were loose again.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration