OT Good deal on Shop Crane

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Good deal on Shop Crane
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Got a Harbor Freight flier in mail that had a 1 ton foldable shop crane Item 69512 for $99.99 (regular price $250.00). Flier also stated most orders shipped for $6.99. Got on line and ordered from their web site ad that had it listed for a higher price but added coupon number (65667413)from flier and checked out for $99.99 plus $6.99 shipping. Got it the other day and haven't assembled it yet but quality looks quite good. Yes it's China made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 08:05 pm:

Thanks for letting us know, I just went to their website and ordered one as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:14 am:

I've got one that I bought at a HF store. no problems with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:01 am:

Just please do your self a favor while it is new and use the parts book to order some news seals and packing for the lift cylinder.As they will forget they made it in about a year and the cylinder will quit.I have a bumper jack here that I cant get parts for and it was only used twice.
I took the jack from 1 of the pickup truck cranes to a rebuilder and he did what he could and said dont bring it back.It quit during the first use after that again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:19 am:

Iv had my HF lift for about six years and so far have had no problems.Some of there stuff is just junk and some of there stuff isn't to bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:23 am:

I looked at the 1 ton two years ago, and opted for the 2 ton crane for about $70 more. The reach of the 1 ton is probably adequate for a T, but way too short for anything newer. Extended the 2 ton was just the right length to swap engines in a '65 Falcon. the 1 ton never would have had enough reach. Just something to think about

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:24 am:

Gary & all...yep, I bought one last December, and used it twice already. For China-mart it is actually pretty decent. For all we're going to probably use it for, it should last a long time. But Mack does have a good suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:58 am:

I've had mine since 2003 a seal went last year called their 1-800 got new ones no problem they also sell replacement rams up to 8 tons usually for about $40 if they are on sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:03 am:

I guess the sale is over, it's $189.99 right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:07 am:

Are you sure? Go on their website and enter the coupon number that Gary posted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Lol, no. I'm not sure. Sometimes I just don't read the entire post. I read yours and said "What coupon number?" Ya'll leave me alone - I'm taking Calculus 2 this semester and it's making me crazy. It's been a long week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:19 am:

We just had a Harbor Freight open up about 5 miles up the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

Just for laughs: Mad Magazines take on HF. There's 2 more pages to the full article. I have to leave my wallet in the car when I go there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

Tom I just wish they would list that place on NYSE so I might recover some of my money. The H.F. store in my neck o' the woods is within walking distance and the store manager knows my name!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

I can't take my wife to harbor freight. :-(

I took her when I needed a cheep air nailer and ended up getting her a 44 inch tool box for the kitchen.
She said that it was exactly what she needed for her tools.
Since she used "her tools" to prepare food for me there was no way I could disagree.
We added a cutting board to the top and it has worked out fantastically.

She kidded me about her tool box being better than mine so I had to get another for the garage. :-)

Harbor freight - Great for the hobbyists, but not good for the guy that uses the stuff every day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:22 pm:

I just bought a 20 ton press, 150 bucks, cheap enough. You can sign up for their coupons and you get them online. I also buy their $12.00 4" grinders, I keep a wire brush on one, a cut wheel on one and a grinding wheel on another, handy to have around for that price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

The general rule I use is if it has a cord, I might or might not get one use out of it. If it's solid metal, I can probably get a minimum of a a dozen uses. Several years ago, they had a summer sale on 4" angle grinders for 6 bucks. I bought 6 of them, thinking I would give them to relatives for christmas. One day I was in a hurry on another project & accidently ground thru the cord of my "good" grinder. Rather than taking the time to fix the cord, I just grabbed one of the "gift" grinders that was on the shelf, still in the box. Within seconds, the shaft & grinding wheel flew out of the head & down the driveway. I grabbed another one & within seconds, sparks were flying out of the motor. This pattern continued thru all 6 of the grinders. Sure glad I tried them prior to giving them away!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

HF sells a lot of junk, but then there are some things there that are good enough for "home use". And concerning ratchet straps, I don't know why you'd buy 'em anywhere else! HF puts them on sale regularly and the ratchet straps on sale at HF for something like $2.99 are the same quality as those selling for something like $12.99 anywhere else. To me, those things are about the best thing since sliced bread! Nowadays, there's just no excuse for getting a ticket for "unsecured load" in your pickup truck,.....I keep at least a couple in every vehicle I own!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:02 pm:

Yeah, you takes your pick and takes your chances--I've had both good and bad luck with their tools--one turned out a great deal, as I had their warranty (air nailer)--they didn't stock that model anymore, so upgraded me to the commercial version at no cost--it's worked great!
I used my HF hoist to lower the pipe organ blower into the basement of our theater--very heavy, but it did the job! (I added a chain hoist to cover the long drop) I have used it numerous times and am very happy with it.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

I think I've been about 50 50 satisfied/disappointed with their stuff.
I definitely shop around before I go there.
I had exactly the same experience as Mike (a couple posts up) with their cheap angle grinders.
Lasted from 15 secs to a couple minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I try to avoid buying anything electrical from HF. Just not worth the hassel,...hastle,.....whatever!

......pain in the a$$,.......(I can spell that!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

Harbor freight sells usually junk but... again some of their air tools surprise me satisfactorily. But go anywhere else and buy a more expensive tool and yes it will last longer but what I hate is look on the tool label or on the box somewhere Craftsman, Black-n-decker or many others and it says, "made in china" somewhere in fine print. I bought a quart of peaches the other day from Wal Mart and IT said product of China in very fine print. The shop crane makes me sick as I paid almost 200.00 for mine and I saw your ad for the 99.00 price and got peeved. Depending on the one you got you'll need to work on it if you use it much in a shop setting.
Some of their stuff is ok. Many pro shops around here use it throw it away and go grab another one. I see them at our store regularly. Their blue nitrile Gloves are thin but still for the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

When buying from Harbor Freight make sure you have a coupon and take it with you. If the coupon you find isn't so great of a deal wait a little bit and you will likely find a better one. If you don't want made in China then buy somewhere else. Some items are pretty decent, some are junk. As with any purchase its buyer beware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:37 pm:

I've bought only a handful of items from Harbor Freight and have found that the customer product reviews on their website to be helpful. So far, I've been happy with my purchases.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:06 am:

I buy the $5.00 DVOM's that they sell. (cheap volt meters) I usually blow up 2-3 a year but it sure beats ruining a quality meter by accident. I was once working on a roof and watched my good meter slide off the roof and shatter into dozens of pieces.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

I got my $99.99 shop crane from Harbor Freight yesterday, it came via Fedex in two boxes (on two separate trucks, go figure). Anyway, I started to assemble it today, it seems well made, but I found out it is missing one of the 3 1/2 inch iron caster wheels.

So, I called Harbor Freight's customer support line and they recommended that I go to the nearest Harbor Freight retail store to get a replacement wheel. I called the store and they said they don't sell the wheels separately, they'll have to cannibalize one of their shop cranes on the floor for a wheel.

They don't have any in stock right now, but the manager told me they are getting a fresh shipment of cranes next week, so I'm supposed to call them next week to confirm they have one, then go up to their store to pick up the cannibalized wheel.

A minor complication, hopefully they'll give me a wheel next week and all will be well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration