English 1909 Ford Rear view=Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: English 1909 Ford Rear view=Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

how about the brakes on this car???????????.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Right hand drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:18 am:

No, LHD. Tail light mounted on the incorrect side for RHD. Wasn't until the 1913 model they became standard for each control.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:35 am:

Nice, Herb.

Now find a photo of a late 1911 from this view so we can get a good shot of the pinstriping on the back!

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:30 am:

I'm going to disagree with David, the tail lamp is on the English side, but can't see if it is actually RHD.

Note the extensions the wings (fenders) to keep mud from spraying up onto the hood (top) when folded. Once Manchester started bodying cars, the rear wings were designed to keep the mud off - I know this 'cos Drew Lilleker took great delight on a tour pointing out the mud on mine compared to his!

Any chance of a close scan of those brakes, Herb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:46 am:

On the Canadian Fords the tail lamp is lit from the passenger side until 1913. Tail lights are made sided until this year. If you buy a brass tail light from the States you have to swap the lenses. Even our RHD horns are wound in reverse to LHD ones until this year. Just another anomaly with Canadian assembled early Fords.

As Jem said, it may be British and not Canadian!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:02 am:

Canadian 1909 T's have a Vertical Seam up the Middle of the Back
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:56 am:

Don, missed that. Good pick up, they also don't have the centre horizontal seam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:17 am:

Looks like a US made RHD car assembled in UK. Could be late 1909 - early 1911. Rear axle housing center flange is too thick to be early 1909.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:25 am:

David love the tag!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

I can get a date for the first registration of this car, along with serial no, owner's name and subsequent history of the car until it was scrapped. With luck :^)

AM numbers were issued in Wiltshire, a rural county to the West of me. They still have their old records in the county archive and for a fee of about $15 I can get a photocopy. It will take a fee weeks, but it will be interesting. I will report back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

OK folks, got the lowdown on the registration. First registered to Robert George Hannington, Walden, Westcastle Road, Swindon on 30 August 1910. The entry is flagged 'Cancelled 18.3.13 as (has/per ??) letter from (indecipherable) 16.3.13' There is no further info other than it is a 20hp Ford Four seater Touring car Dark Green.

The original postcard is on Tbay with a side view also, looks like they had some sort of camp bed rigged:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

Jem,
Great detective work.
-Don Watson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

Thank you Jem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

What a great thread. UK & Canadian early Fords are different. We learn something new every day!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration