Whatzit 4

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Whatzit 4
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

This whatzit tool may look silly but I use it almost every day with my Ts. A friend of mine made a couple of them one for his T and he gave me one. I had an original metal one but lost it somehow. This one is made of wood but works well. I would think that someone could make and sell them.
petcock Tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

I will try the above photo again.

petcock tool 1

petcock tool 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

One more time:

petcock tool 1

petcock tool 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:31 am:

A handle for turning petcocks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:37 am:

Yes they were made of metal...Place in the palm of your hand when you get in a fight over a parking spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:46 am:

This one should be easy...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:30 am:

U-joint installation tool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:35 am:

Tooth extractor for Terantasaurus Rex? I'm sure I spelled it wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:28 pm:

;Brian Eliason:

Thats right, I was hoping someone would guess what it was. I only use it on the Radiators. I have some long metal ones for the OIL PAN PETCOCKS. I used to have a real nice metal one about 8 inches long that I used for the radiators but lost it long ago.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

This whatzit tool comes in the list of worthless tools. I just keep it to show walk ins. It must have been a fairly common tool in the T era because I see a lot of them at swap meets. Or maybe the reason there are so many at swap meets is they are worthless and no one wants them. They come in two sizes on the sockets, 9/16" and 1/2"
The one in the picture is the 9/16". There seems to be more of the 9/16" survive than the 1/2".

oil pan tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

Block to pan bolt/nut tool.

Part with the speed wrench tightens up the nut under the pan, part with the upsidedown "J" shape holds the bolt on top of the block.

I believe these were meant to be used when the work was being done while the engine was still in the vehicle with the splash pans removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

Mike Spaziano:

Your Right!!!!! Do you know what the same wrench is with the two 1/2" sockets. They seem to be a lot rarer, I hardly ever see one.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

This Whatzit is a 9/16" Z wrench used for a very specific function. You can use a lot of force with this wrench. One draw back is the open end is so thick that it can not always fit the job. I have a couple of Stevens that does the same specific job and fits much better, so I use them much more often.
piston pin wench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb, Watertown WI on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

Is that the tool for removing the flywheel bolts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

Im not sure of the following "Stevens" tools use. I think I know, so lets see if Im right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

tooltool 1tool 2tool 3tool 4tool 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

I forgot the size of it. The main casting is 7-1/2 inches long.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

Dave,

Unfortunately, I have no idea where that other size tool would be used.

Only a guess but it may be for another make of vehicle altogether.

Really enjoying the "Whatzit?" threads.

Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

Dave's is a piston pin lock bolt tool.Donnie has a Stevens drive shaft sleeve puller. There is another version by Stevens too. Some one posted a picture of it awhile back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

Jack: Thanks, I thought it was a drive shaft sleeve puller also ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:13 am:

Mike Spaziano:

The one man whatzit tool with the 1/2" sockets is for the bolts that hold the rear axle HOUSING together, according to some era catalogs. It seems to me it would be real awkward.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:19 am:

Dave, I use my pan bolt speed wrench a lot on initial run up of the bolts, then go back and tighten when everything is aligned. It is a time saver. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

Keith:

If you want to save real time use your air ratchet. I seldom use any kind of hand ratchet. Hand ratchets are just too slow for most jobs.
If you have two or three motors to put together or a motor, and a couple of Ruckstells think how much time you save with an air ratchet.

picture

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration