OT-Cancer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT-Cancer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:14 am:

The last few weeks have been rough ones for our family. My oldest(32)daughter(actually, my step daughter, but I'm the only Dad she has ever known), was diagnosed with vaginal cancer. She had surgery this morning and I won't go into the details, but she will never be the same. PLEASE, make sure all of the women in your life get checked out regularly! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

Tough break, David. Chemo is sure to follow, where they cure a person by killing them a little. Hope she survives and thrives.

I've always said you don't have to look very far to find somebody you wouldn't trade troubles with..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:59 pm:

A lot of us Cancer survivors here on the Forum will be praying and thinking good thoughts for her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

What Ralph and Richard said. We were all born 100 years too soon. Some day, people will have to look at history books to learn about "cancer."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

What Dick and Ralph and Richard said David,.....I'm another "survivor"! Seven years now after my "prostatectomy", radiation and hormone therapy. Much progress has been made in recent years, and it's still going on! That....and prayers are the answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

And from another survivor - best wishes to your daughter and your family. It's not easy, but remember that cancer takes a beating every day! I too had a prostatectomy about 1 1/2 years ago and know how frightening its is to face. I can't even imagine having to do so with the patient being your child.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

I will add to Davids advice and say make sure all your daughters gets the vaccine that will reduce the risk significantly. Must be in their later teen years.
David - best wishes for your daugthers recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

David,

I'm so sorry to hear the news. We will be praying for your daughter and the family for the battle you will be facing.

And for those with younger daughters or granddaughters encourage them to get the vaccine and their check ups.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Still leaking after the prostate thing in September and looking forward to graduating from old folks' diapers. I've always figured that when I go the cure for whatever takes me will be announced soon after I'm in the ground.

Yes, get checked. I've known people who should have and didn't, and made an early exit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

David,Sorry to hear it! I hope your right Dick but people up stream are still dumping/leaking/spilling and spreading BS instead of doing the right thing! Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:41 am:

Haven't had it yet, myself. However I have dealt with it through many friends and family.
Attitude is everything! She and you can beat it.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:43 am:

David,

I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's (I know, step, but it sounds as though she's "your girl") illness. All our prayers. With an immediate family of three women (two daughters and wife) I share a dread of diseases that may affect them.

We decided early on to vaccinate and hope others are able to take advantage of this modern preventative option.

All my best wishes and prayers for your girl,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:56 am:

I'm wondering if we live long enough if all men will get prostate cancer?? Having it and being told it's testosterone that causes it i think about all the trash being sold to boost testosterone?? After my scope i'm told i'm not the perfect A everyone thinks,but now they need to check every 5 years.I Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

Bud - I think you hit the nail on the head. I've wondered the same thing for years.

FWIW, I've been told that 90% of the men will have prostate cancer when they die. I don't have any problem - yet. My father was 98 when he died. If he had it, he was never diagnosed with it.......but he did have the symptoms that most old men have. 'nuff said about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

I read somewhere years ago that if all men lived to be 120, they would all also get prostate cancer. I had a friend here in the Model T club who was diagnosed when he was around 75. His doctor told him that he would die with it, but not of it. Turned out to be the case years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Steve
Sorry to see your recovery is going so slowly. Had mine in October. If you get diagnosed with prostate cancer get on a plane for England. They have just completed clinical trials and can now test the aggressiveness. They find that half of us have a low aggressive type and can avoid or postpone treatment safely. To late for me!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

I'm changing less and less often. My dentist told me it took his dad a year to quit leaking, so if I manage it in less than that I'll be satisfied. After all, it took me longer than that to quit using diapers the first time (seventy years ago).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

Welcome to "the club" guys; and buy stock in Kimberly-Clark!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

When your getting a little older its best to get things checked regularly. Being a prostate cancer survivor having the checkups is the reason I'm still around.
A lot of guys don't and wont go to the Dr. and try to tuff it out thinking things will go away and just not think about it.
Time will catch up with those guys sooner than they think.
Get Checked!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

My doctor has a simple technique for seeing me once a year. He writes me 90-day prescriptions for all my medications with 3 refills each. When the last prescriptions expire, he won't refill them until I come in for an annual physical. I don't mind seeing him, but it does make a handy reminder that it is time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Hansen on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

Test confirming I'm registered

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

As we men get older, many of us will face prostate cancer. There are at least four different procedures to combat it, each one has its own drawbacks and side effects. I underwent proton therapy last winter, without any of the side effects mentioned here. If you get the diagnoses, do some digging into All of the treatments available. You don't have to settle for surgery. All urologists are surgeons and most of the time that procedure is what they recommend. Before you decide you should read "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer" by Bob Marckini. If you would like to discuss this further, send email. Jbk50@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

Dick, my V.A. doc does it the same way. My next visit is in a couple weeks. Next year the scope. I've lost family on my Moms side including my Mom from cancer. My Dad's side is always heart attacks and strokes. But that's changing too. He had cancer when he went and I'm losing cousins from the same family at a nearly regular rate. I'm not going from either. I'm going to die from a bullet wound at the age of 100 from a jealous 30's something husband.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

I forgot to mention a great website to see is "protonbob.com". Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:22 am:

Dave.......blood might be thicker than water but love trumps all!
Best of luck to your daughter.......she's lucky to have you....... :-)

YOU hang in there too ya hear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:35 am:

Steve I am not being disrespectful
but remember my mom telling us boys to tie a knot in it if we had to pea when we were traveling to Cape Cod.
She never told that to my sister and I am still trying to figure out what she meant
You are a resourceful guy, you might be be able to figure out what she was talking about

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:43 am:

Many thanks to all of you. The doctor is cautiously optimistic that he got all of it, but we won't know for sure until the tests come back in a couple of weeks. She is doing as well as can be expected so far. She has a long recovery ahead, both physically and mentally. Again, many thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 08:26 am:

David, you and your daughter are in my prayers. God Bless her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:49 am:

My daughter and a couple other chemist have sent in for a patent for an anti cancer drug but it will take five years before any thing can make it to the counter. My son in law is into disease control and he found injecting one of the Herpes virus into a cancerous mouse canceled out the cancer and the mouse lived with the herpes, but humans and people are a whole different genetics but it is a start!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration