Snow day photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Snow day photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

Didn't think I would get another chance this year, but this mornings outing was great. Now I call Ruckstell "snow gear". Couldn't resist doing a slow power slide/half cookie in the parking lot of the kids former elementary school (no kids were there).

Also received the bonus of going out with blackwall tires and came home with whitewalls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

Also a good test of my new exhaust manifold and timer rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

Great photos Erich.

Just a FYI - that style of manifold clamp should go on the opposite way and utilizes a shorter stud with a pressed in collar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:36 pm:

Good for you Erich. Your touring looks much better out there than my coupe. Snow is fun.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 02:57 pm:

This was taken two years ago.
We haven't had enough snow this year to mess around in.
I'm only about 100 miles from Erich but we got none!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

By the way Erich and Rich...your cars look great in the snow.
I love those early coupes especially.
You sure don't need to make any apologies for that car.
It's beautiful!
And Erich my car will never make a magazine cover!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:08 pm:

I have mixed feelings about driving a "T" in the snow. On one hand, it's kinda' neat to think that nobody can stop any better than you can in your Model T. On the other hand, maybe in giving it a bit more thought, it's not such a nice feeling to know that "NOBODY" can stop very well! Maybe that's the main thing to keep in mind, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

OK Harold...don't go outside either...the sky might fall on you!
Just kidding...just kidding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

You know Bob,.....you got me to thinking,.....

After I retired from the RR police, they installed computers in the patrol cars. Maybe some day, it'll be possible to install computers in Model "T's, and then we could do what we're doing now, and at the same time, have fun driving around in our "T's in the snow at the same time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

Harold makes a good point. We live in a very rural area without a lot of traffic on the roads we use. We have been driving T's on snow for 38 years and I feel we are safer in a T as people notice it. I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to drive a T where they felt it might be unsafe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

You know Richard,.......we've been kidding around here a bit, but you mentioned that you "live in a very rural area without a lot of traffic on the roads we use."

If it's "rural" enough that cell phones ("AND TEXTING") won't work, your area would be much safer in anything you drive, "ESPECIALLY" in a slow-moving Model "T"! Snow or no snow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB0bBX5dkhM

My wiper sounds as it hits and scratch the windshield, but it does not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Very nice video Michael. That's a great looking car in your profile.
Now I've been night driving in Denmark. In the snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUZcyPzgtv0

I took "Mr. T" out in the snow last weekend. It was 15 degrees this day and I crank started him with the help of a jack and some hot water on the intake manifold.

Those aren't icebergs going by on the right side of the truck...its just a never melting pile of snow here in northern Illinois. Snow after snow after snow. That little rattle you hear when I get out of the truck is the hood which wasn't fastened on the back. These things shouldn't have any rattles right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:04 pm:

Steve, I was wondering about that. Would you have a set of those studs at the meet on 2-15?

Great winter T driving stuff everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:08 pm:

Richard and Bob, your Ts look dyn-o-mite to me. My car is no show car. Really more of a 20 footer. I agree with much of the above about driving safety. I stuck to less traveled roads. I did have spinning and loss of traction trying to go up hills and sorta kicked myself for putting off the tire chain build project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

Ryan,

I got a kick out of your post. Having grown up in Rockford, I can remember my Grandfather telling me stories of having taken hot water from his boiler system in the house to pour over his Model T engine to get it going in really cold weather. Guess it is a technique that still works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:21 pm:

Great looking cars Erich and Richard and Ryan, I have really learned to love that style of truck. I wish I had a rural area nearby where I could take a winter drive. I'm in the big city, surrounded by salt trucks and mindless drivers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

I've got a few NOS ones that I can throw in for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:04 pm:

Steve, you rock. See you on the 15th

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

Took mine out for about a 1 mile drive. Sorry no photos, left camera at a friends house when I worked on his car. No way I am driving my truck to go get it. But about the same amount of snow as Erich's photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

I'm glad you had a fun day Erich. I did too.

Give me a snowy day, a set of chains, and a set of new side curtains. It doesn't get much better than that.

Now it is time for a hot drink!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

Looking great Keith. Side curtains also on my to make list. Great looking dust caps too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

I like you car, Keith.
Those side curtains look especially nice in this weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:07 am:

Erich: you have your manifold clamps in backwards!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:24 am:

Eric, don't feel bad, after looking at your picture, I am guilty also....Love these guys....they notice everything by a picture..... I was wandering why I didn't have much thread left either.....Thanks Eric for posting your pic and Steve and Larry for noticing and mentioning it....Now I can change and correct mine also...fixing to get mine out and take a ride in our little 1/2 snow...
Thanks
Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:53 am:

If your looking for winter comfort , the Coupe is perfect. 1924 Model T Coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

Great looking coupe Robert S. I'm with you. After having only a Speedster for winter drives a few years, the closed cars are a luxury. I like your Winter Front.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

A closed car is on my list, along with about 10 other styles.......

My manifold clamps were like that when I got the car so I was never sure that it was factory, but it worked. I figured the other ones I saw were backwards. The studs that are in there now won't allow me to just revers the clamps. I see some venders sell the longer studs but not the later shorter style? Thanks to Steve, I'm covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

Erich, didn't they use a domed head bolt for '26-'27 manifold clamps? It seems like I have seen them on several.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

We finally got some snow here, and we need the moisture badly. It does not look like much after raining on it most of the night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

Erich, I'm not really up on '26-'27 but seems like these came off a late engine I had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

Just got back from another drive in the white stuff. Put chains on before I left. The chains I used were some for my truck but they don't fit anymore so thought I would see if they would work on the T. I had to add one extra link on one side. Got them on and used snow chain tighteners, big black rubber thing.
Two trips to the store (forgot my wallet first trip), about 2 miles each then drove to a friends which was about 5-6 miles round trip.
We have about 6 inches here in North Portland Or with more coming down.
Got a roll of film for the camera. Spaced when I took the first roll out and forgot to rewind! :-( Hope it's only fogged on the edges. That what I get for working in the cold and looking at a roll of 120 just before putting new roll (35mm) in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:00 pm:

Erich,

Bill is correct the clamps should go on the way in his photo with a bolt not a stud. It was changed this way for the improved cars. '26-'27

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

The valve cover used a domed head bolt as did most of the other bolts on the "improved" model. I will post a photo tomorrow of the correct manifold stud.

Curious item in the Ford Price List of Parts, effective date 8/5/28 lists a part number 3066B as the manifold stud nut and 3066C2 as the manifold stud but has (nickel head) ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

snow

Back in the good old days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:31 pm:

^ We're having the "good old days" this Winter in Wisconsin........overall we're still pretty lucky but the "good old days" can STAY where they belong........in history books.
There is WAY too much salt on the roads to even think about taking my cars out....... :-(
I did drive the Model A on New Years Eve....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

We're having a worse Winter this year than we've had since the early 80's. It's colder and more than average snow. Getting really tiresome. I do like the looks of those T's. Erich, the manifold clamps are just fine the way they are. It's just that your manifold needs to be turned 180 degrees or mounted on the other side of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:25 am:

Took the Special out just for around the shop. If it was chained up hirer suspension she would have done better. But still good for pictures though....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

Couldn't STAND it! Had to take the T's to the backyard. My Bride didn't trust me to take her up to Camp One road (old logging road across the street).

The Tudor got around much better than the Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 08:46 pm:

Why da'ya' think "much better" John? Better tires, or just a bit more weight on the rear wheels of the Tudor? (....or, maybe both?)

Model "T's sure do look good in the snow, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

More weight Harold. Rear tires for both are essentially identical in wear and pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea Aldrich in Orting,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Harold, I think the Tudor is heavier than my Roadster. I kinda got stuck right where I am sitting.

The plan was to put all the cars in a row and take a snow picture but I was informed the Touring's engine is not on location and the 15's gas tank was not connected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:07 am:

Finally got our first snow. So--------------!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration