SWB speedsters?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: SWB speedsters?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dysart - SoCal on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

Is anybody driving a short wheelbase speedster/racer on the street now? The original dirt track racers were shorter by about a foot (the Frontenac "how to build a racer" instructions suggest an 88" wheelbase). I believe that Noel Bullock's Pike's Peak run was with a short wheelbase T. I know that driving on dirt is different than modern pavement.

My plan is to build a "period" racer, but without a bunch of short dirt ovals to drive on, I'm not sure that shortening the car is a good idea. I doubt that the car will be on dirt more than 5% of the time, if that.

Will changing to a short wheelbase make the car too unstable? It will be lower than stock.

Thanks,
Eric
SoCal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Be careful with those short wheelbases........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Be careful with those short wheelbases........

swb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Eric - Nick Nicholas in Colorado has built a SWB Fronty. It is an 88" wheel base and is street legal. The car runs and handles very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

bullocks car had 76" frame, and 83" wheel base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Clayton - Noel Bullock's car always looks strange to me because it's so short! This orange car you posted a picture of looks GREAT! That's about as nicely proportioned car as you could ever ask for. I'd love to see a few more photos of that car,.....especially the front end set-up. Nice, nice, nice,.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

Forgot to say,....I think that's my favorite speedster (or racer) grill too,.....a Whippet radiator shell,.....not sure what year Whippet had that but they sure look good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

26 or 27 whippet i think. some one will have the facts here. orange car is very nice, looks to at "the flat hill climb" in northwoods iowa. must be a view to the east or we would see the rocky's just past the corn a bit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:27 pm:

Harold - I don't have any real good pictures of the front end. I do know that the front axle is was made for the European market (French I believe) and is lower to start with. Here are a couple of more pictures of Nick's car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

I sold my short wheel base gray race car several years ago. If I recall correctly, the frame was short by about eleven inches (an original by the way). The front end was moved forward about five or six inches and lowered. It had a cowl, seats and gasoline tank, no room for anything more. It had an original highly modified flathead engine and could do almost 80 mph in Warford overdrive. With 21 inch steel disc wheels it handled better than any other T speedster I have had and cornered like it was on rails. It is the only car I have ever in my life "spun a donut" with (on dry pavement).
I used to pass Rajo and Fronty Ts going uphill on the Endurance Run (Not Ed Archer though). The short wheel base is what made that possible. And Ed Archer's #4 also has a shortened wheel base.
Boy that car would corner!
I really wish I had never sold it.
Please drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

WOW! That was fast! Thanks for the added info and pictures Clayton and Mike!

In the one picture, I see another Whippet radiator shell on that red car. They always look good!

Mike - Not sure about French, but there were about 750,000 Model "T's built in Manchester, England (Trafford Park) and I believe they made several modifications to the "T", partly to lower the car a bit, one of which was the front axle. In thinking about it, I'd bet that most (if not all) "T's in France in the "T" era, were those built in England.

Thanx again you guys for the added pix & info,......love this forum......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

1928 Whippet. Rad shell was nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:13 pm:

I have a 1925 Model T sprint car with an 88" wheelbase. It handles great. I don't have any pictures of it on my IPad or I would post one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

John did you get it running again??

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration