Glass Sediment Bulb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Glass Sediment Bulb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:14 pm:

I know its a big no no but Id like to put one on my tank. I have an idea to make a stone guard for it so it would be safe. Has anyone tried it before? What would be the right size to use. There's hundreds of them on e bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

allis chalmers tractors have the same thread i think, and a shut off too. i'm sure many tractor tanks have pipe thread mounted glass sediment bowel on the bottom just like a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Will - A "no-no" or not, I have the more or less "universal" glass sediment bowl on all three of my "T's, and they work great! The ones I have are available at most farm supply stores or a John Deere dealer. (Mine were $17.95 ea.) It's nice to have the built-in shut-off valve, and the ones I have, have two built-in fine mesh screens that are perfect! Fine enough mesh that any minute particle that would go thru' the screens is so small that it would never plug a carburetor jet, and therefore, no "inline filter" is needed, which in my opinion is a mistake,....not quite so much a mistake on a '26-'27 with cowl tank, but certainly a mistake on earlier "T's with under-seat tank.
As far as the glass bowl being broken by a stone, yes, I suppose that could happen, but I really think it would be petty much a "fluke" accident! If you look at that bowl, it's a really tough piece of thick glass for sure! (Not saying however, that a shield would not be a good thing).
It's also nice to be able to keep an eye on the glass bowl as it gives you a pretty good idea how much rust, scale, and "crud" is in your tank and how much would otherwise perhaps have clogged up your fuel system.
By the way, I got this glass sediment bowl idea from another forum user who's name I'm sorry I can't remember at the moment,.......FWIW,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:19 pm:

This common type would work as it is here for 26-27 as well as under the earlier T tanks. Rocks would have to work pretty hard to get up here. Not sure what would be best to protect one underneath the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

I have the one from John Deere on my 26 cowl mount and my 24 under seat tank, i have dropped the glass bowl onto the concrete floor and it just bounced and rolled around, they are tough, i suppose a rock hitting it just right would break it but they are out of the way, they are good because they isolate the tank so you can remove the carb without having to drain the tank.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:38 pm:

Erich, what kind of intake manifold is that and where can I get one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

Chester, that is from a Metz. It is cast iron, larger flow area, fits perfectly. Rather similar to the early aluminum T intakes. It is the only one I have seen. It works great with my slightly modified swayback NH carb.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration