What do glazed bands look like?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What do glazed bands look like?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 11:28 pm:

New bands as frightfully expensive here but as i went to install them i found i may not need them.
Please examine the following pictures & tell me why these old bands had no grip, Some may be pictured next to the new linings for comparison. Are these glazed?

Why did the band material leave an impression in the metal? Was it hard lining & pressure or the bands held corrosive sludge years ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:17 am:

Kep

My 2cents from just viewing the pictures.

The metal band is well used, rivet at lug is beat over many times for many years, and the band is out of shape. That will allow 'chatter', which is slippage.

The lining is simple cotton, seems worn now, don't know the mileage on that lining, but note the grooves lengthwise from grooves in a well worn drum surface, so the drums are worn too, that can make for chatter if the drum surface is worn slick or has been turned down on lathe and there is less diameter to the drum.

The most efficient fix now, besides new bands, and new drums, or at least parts with way less wear, is to re-line the bands with Kevlar, thicker than and better than that plain cotton, and make sure the bands are trued, in a circle, and have the lug spread of 3"-4" apart prior to mounting the linings.

Kevlar (yellow) with fine thick layers, and cotton (Scandinavia modern) that has been impregnated with modern hardener to resist oil breakdown to the organic fiber, but that stuff will dissolve in the hot oil and becomes gummy. The old original Scandinavia never got gummy. The crosshatch open weave of the cotton will imprint on the metal band, as its the gummy stuff that leaves the residue footprint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:46 am:

As far as the "New" Scandinavian bands go...We don't need no stinkin "modified bitumin roofing tar" or anything closely resembling it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:13 pm:

Odd thing about those marks from the weaving left in the bands is my fingernail will catch in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

Maybe this is a good place to mention that cotton bands are like other cloth. They can rot with age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Yup Steve, Being cheap and lazy when I first got involved with T's I used an old cotton band that was already mounted eons ago and "looked" good. It didn't take long for it decompose and fill up the accessory trash screen. Kinda comes under the heading of 'what stupid things have you done to your T.'

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration