Old Photo - This Ford Car Goes In The Telegram Hill Climb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - This Ford Car Goes In The Telegram Hill Climb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:33 am:

It is 1909 model year. Great picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:47 am:

whats going on with the carbide generator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:49 am:

I hope it didn't rain that day. No front doors of course and no top or windshield. Does anyone here own one factory built like that? Would be fun to drive on a nice day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:06 am:

July 30, 1909 was a Friday. July 30, 1910 was a Saturday. I'm guessing the photo was taken a little prior to July 30, 1910 thinking a major local event would not be scheduled on a work day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:13 am:

There's a Bike on display in the window of building 68. Must be a trade in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Macy on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:26 am:

My family history search has uncovered a picture of my grandfather and his future wife standing next to a car. Not just any old car, I'm sure, but I don't know much about vintage cars. Would someone enlighten me? I have a picture of what might be a Model T touring car also. Many thanks, GlennGrandparents first car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:28 am:

The photo was taken July 27th 1910 in Salt Lake City Utah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:31 am:

Not a T, look at the front springs.
It is a coupe of some sort, Chevy or Dodge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rampton on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:37 am:

I can shed a little info on this great photo. It was taken in Salt Lake City in 1910. In 1907, 1908 and 1910, the Evening Telegram, a Salt Lake daily newspaper, sponsored a popular hill climb. The competition was open to anyone. Cars were entered in various classes and catagories. Many of the local dealers fielded popular cars. The Meredith Auto Co. was the local ford dealer. The car pictured was owned by H. Kessler of the dealership. It was entered into the class for Stock Cars, $1200 or less, Full Stock, minus glass, top and muffler. This was the second event of the competition, which it won, taking the Evening Telegram Cup with a time of 1:45 2/5 sec.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Dave,

Wimpshield? We don't need no stinking "wimpshield!"

It is a little colder, and the first time drivng (or riding in front) you feel like your completely unprotected and out in the open (and you are). Then you get used to it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Judging from that picture Rob, you should know. And you can get used to anything. I don't often drive with my windshield folded because I don't like that glass edge in front of my face. No windshield would be better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 02:23 pm:

Dave,

I feel like I'm driving a motorcycle and don't have to wear a helmet (Nebraska has a MC helmet law).

Unless, of course I'm racing: :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Pretty skimpy racing garb, you got on there Rob !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:00 pm:

My "fireproof" outfit....

Back to Jay's thread. The Model T is listed in the $1200 and under class:

And, as Robert reported above, (and according to this advertisement) the Ford won it's class:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:46 pm:

Rob

You need to buy a leather helmet and did you really install safety belts in the K so you could do the hill climb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Clayton, are you seeing the reflection of the carbide generator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

Dave,
I bought one of those at Hershey last fall.

Because our K is stock, I didn't need seat belts.

Erich,
That's what I thought too. The finish and photo are so clear the paint really reflects well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration