Difference between a 1911 Torpedo and a 1910

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Difference between a 1911 Torpedo and a 1910
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Are there any major differences between a 1910 and 1911 Torpedo? I know that the 1910's and early 1911's should have open valve engines, but is there anything else? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:01 am:

Early Torpedo's have the square fuel tank. 1910's used the winged script on the radiator and 1911's had the larger, more well known Ford script, but NO "made in USA".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:36 am:

Major difference, very few similarities. Here is a 1910 Torpedo Runabout:

Here is a 1911 Torpedo Runabout:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:14 pm:

I have often seen depictions of 1910 torpedo runabouts.
Were they really torpedo runabouts for 1910 or were they torpedo runabouts that were built in 1910 and were 1911 model year cars? I don't think there were any 1910 torpedo runabouts.
Am I right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

Herb, I believe you are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

In 1910 there was the runabout, a single seat car (with mother-in-law seat) with the gas tank under the seat. Royce has it pictured above.

It was called a roadster in 1911.

Ford introduced the open runabout in 1911, which has the gas tank behind the seat.

At the same time Ford introduced the torpedo runabout. This has similar styling to the open runabout with the gas tank behind the seat, but it has doors.

1911 was the only year for this style of open runabout and torpedo runabout.

The 1912 torpedo runabout is slightly different. The chassis is a standard chassis and the doors are a little deeper and the standard windshield was used.

I hope this helps.

: ^ )

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration