OT - 3 speed planetary transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - 3 speed planetary transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

I wonder how things might have gone if Ford had perfected a three speed planetary. Cadillac listed one for their 30 and 40 hp models in 1906. I've never seen one, and am curious how the controls worked?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

Rob : Ford used the planetary gear box in there Tractors . Ford [SELECTO SPEED ]It was not a big success . Don't asked how I know that !!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

Toon,

I thought the inventor/technician who built the Ford select-o-matic also built the John Deere power shift that became an immediate success in the mid 60s?

The Cadillac transmission seems like a continuation of the 2 speed transmission, and seems like a good concept. This is one of the few 40 hp and higher power cars I've found that used the planetary transmission along with Ford (Model K).

I think I recall a thread that mentioned Ford looked a a three speed planetary in the twenties for the T or it's successor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

The ol' brass picup has a 3 speed planetary: stock tranny plus BorgWarner planetary overdrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

There was one patented for the T in the mid 20's by some guy. I looked into the idea of making one. Maybe yes maybe no

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:56 am:

I never knew Cadillac built a four that early, wonder if any survive? I did see a three speed planetary on this forum a few years ago, but the thread just kinda died, alot of time was spent by someone on this idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

It was done by a guy named Craig Whipple, amazing design, back in 2009, google search model t forum three speed transmission

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

Craig's version was not a planetary. It was basically a motorcycle transmission. It was not nearly strong enough to take the torque of a T engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

Here is the link

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/79613.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration