Tire inflation?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tire inflation?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

What is the proper tire inflation. 3.5 x 30 ?

Thanks guys!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I use 55-60 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 03:49 pm:

Some people say 50 psi is OK for clinchers. Others say 55. I use 60. If they're not good and tight, they can rotate on the rim and shear off the stem. That will really slow you down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Newly made 30 x 31/2 says on the side wall

65psi. That's what I run all the time in the clincher tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

A couple of summers ago I watched my rear tire pass me. From then on I use 60 and check before every trip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Ford: 60 lbs front and 70 lbs. rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

I started using 60 at first but because my '19 Runabout has what seems to be a fairly stiff suspension for a T, I now run it right at 55 and check it frequently. This is with tires more than half a century old. 60 psi might be better with the softer new tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

The tire pressures indicated on the tire is for maximum load if you are not at max load the pressure can be lesser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

All of the period treatises say 20 pounds per inch of tire for clinchers. So, 30X3=60 pounds and 70 pounds for 30X3 1/2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

had my first stem sheer off today. lesson learned.
:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Just because of curiosity Michael - at what pressure was the tire before the incident?
Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

The manual for my 26 roadster with wires calls for 27 psi. Why the difference? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Pat, the 21" tire is a balloon style tire with a a modern bead. I run mine at 35 psi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

Thanks Dave, PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

Hi Dave...not sure, but it was low. I could see that it was, but wanted to take a quick test drive with my son around the neighborhood. Hard lesson, but no damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

I use 70 psi. Never had a tire move on the rim yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:57 pm:

Using a metal valve stem with the bridge nut against the felloe will keep the tube from rotating within the tire.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration