Crank Pin Information needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Crank Pin Information needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

What is the length and the diameter of the crank pin in a 1927 Ford Model T Touring. I want to turn one down on my lathe.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

the front pulley pin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

Dennis, go to fastenal and get a roll pin they are same length and hard, if your hole is inlarged that is alright also since they compress when driven in.The new aluminum pulleys all have the roll pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

#3040 Crankshaft starting pin 3/8" x 2 3/4"

Roll pins are compromise solution, solid pin is what does the work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Roll pins can work out and cut the front of the oil pan off. They are so hard its just like a tool bit in a lathe. Get a solid pin or make one to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

If the rolled pin can work out then you have a VERY worn hole in the crank. After installing two of the aluminum pulleys I don's see anyway they can work out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:14 am:

I have NOS crank pins if interested danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:19 am:

If you want the pin to last, get a real pin. A roll pin is not going to be a good long term solution for something that is not a problem in the first place. Get the right part and put it in like Ford did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:25 am:

I lay the original pin across the open jaws of a vise and take a dull chisel with hammer to the center of the pin. That puts a kink in the pin right in the center. Then re-install the pin which will need to be driven into the front of the crankshaft. It should be a snug fit. Then put the cotter pin in the end of the pin to keep it from coming out.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration