Drums - Are these useable?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Drums - Are these useable?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:34 pm:

I'm putting together a transmission that was attached to a January 1916 engine. Drum surfaces are near perfect, except for the imperfections in the picture below.

As you can see, the brake drum has a pinhole (casting defect?) and the reverse drum has a small piece missing from the edge. Are these useable? Note that these came out of a running car that sat since the 70's.

If they're not useable, are drums interchangeable from other years?

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

From the picture they look useable. Check for cracks running across the drum face, and cracks in the webbing and around rivets. A little sanding with very fine sandpaper to remove the rust should fix them up.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:00 pm:

What Norm said. I'd also us a small round file to smooth that little nick in the reverse drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

But would not such small holes in the drums have contributed to better lubrication of the drums and the linings?

Has anyone ever drilled such holes in the drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:38 pm:

Suppose oval-coned shaped holes are in the drums, with the holes coned toward the center, and with perhaps 4 or 8 such holes around the circumference of each drum? Wouldn't such holes direct oil outwards towards the surface of the drums and their linings? Seems it should work. Your thoughts?

Such a fix would not be detectable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:54 pm:

Better to drill a few holes in the band, than in the drums. If you must.

Oil is splashed from the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

The only thing I think I would do is very lightly "chamfer" the hole. Just enough to knock off the sharp edge of the hole. Then clean them with fine emery cloth and use them. As stated above look for cracks arond the rivets and across the face of the drums. If you have a bead blast cabinet to bead blast them in is best.(do not sand blast them) Then wash off in diesel. After drying them off, if there are any cracks the diesel will work out of the crack and show itself. Do not wash them after the diesel bath just wipe and clean them with a clean rag that is damp with gas or laquer thinner ect. You do not want to remove the diesel from the crack if there is one by flooding the part with cleaner. After cleaning and while looking for any diesel to come out of any cracks you can dust them with talc powder to make any cracks more visiable. That is the old Non Destructive Testing Method from the old days ... It really works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

Look like junk to me. Send them to me and I will throw them in the scrap pile ;).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:27 am:

Step 1: Take your hogs head off start the engine rev it up... Step 2: Now while your moping up all the oil off the floor and wiping down the car, ask yourself do I really need those tiny little holes....?
I'm not being mean guys it just strikes me as funny.... I'm sure inside the T engine while running there's a heck of an oil bath going on....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration