Whatzits 5

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Whatzits 5
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

There is a story behind these two whatzits. Many years ago I went to an auction on the main street, down town Boulder, Colorado. It was an old machine shop started in 1913. The old shelves were still fill of a lot of stuff. I bought these two whatzits, some NH Carburetors, and Ruckstell parts.

Transmission Reamer 1

transmission reamer 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

You must have the market cornered on "Your Image Here" signs by now? (G)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

Jack Daron:

The images came out fine in my computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

After i posted the came on mine too.The top picture is easy,can't tell much from the second..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

dave, you tell jack to shut up. we are not all xpurt computer drivers !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

Clayton,can't wait till you can read..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:15 am:

The top photo tools appear to be transmission reamers - bottom photo ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

Steve Tomaso:

You are right. They are ADJUSTABLE REAMERS. The top reamer is for the brake drum and the lower reamer is for the low drum. Since these reamers are adjustable you can fit as you like. I bought an entire set of adjustable reamers at an auction one time and it has one reamer that fits the reverse.
I would like to say one more thing that will disturb some.

1. I seldom change the bushings in transmission drums. The manual says that up to five thousands clearance is OK and I almost never find that much or even near that much.

2. I trust the original bushings better than I do the new ones.

When I am doing transmissions for someone else, I show them how little clearance there is and give them the choice about new bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

I find this Whatzit very, very handy. In fact I use it so often that its starting to show some wear but I don't know where I would ever find another. This came in a set in a large box and just about every thing in it is very useful.

pinion puller 1

pinion puller 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

I will try he photos again.

pinion puller 1

pinion puller 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:03 pm:

I got the file locking error pink finger again.

pinion puller 1

pinion puller 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:03 pm:

I got the file locking error pink finger again.

pinion puller 1

pinion puller 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

Totally agree on transmission bushings. New ones are not better than serviceable old ones. Especially if they are too tight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Pinion gear puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

Steve Tomaso:

You know your tools. Why don't you put some of your original tools on ?

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:30 pm:

This Whatzit will be a little different. It has two definite uses. One end is a socket with a square center which of coarse is for the main bearing bolts. I am looking for the other end. Its 9/16" and very slender on the end. Its is a Walden and Worchester wrench. Walden was one of the biggest manufacturer of T tools. I use the end with the 9/16" socket on every motor I work on. What is the use

Walden piston pin wrench 1

Walden Piston Pin Wrench 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

Here's a tool to ponder on - all of the same tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

Here are a few more - hint - all front axle assembly tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

A few more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

One more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

3Z-744 is a pedal bending iron.The very last picture is a front wheel cone setting tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 10:30 am:

Ford pedal bending iron is the only one I have seen. One of the big Ford tool collector guys was asking me to part with it but said "no thanks".

I should have reversed the outer cone mandrel to be more accurate as to it's function.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

Steve Tomaso:

Is the number one picture for removing spring perches???

I thought may be the number three would be for surfacing the flat end of the axle????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

Second grouping - Yes Dave, # 1 for perch removal - # 3 is for facing new spindle body bushings. # 2 is the spindle body bushing remover and #4 is for removing spindle arm bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

Steve:

Hassler spring compressor:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

Very good Erik and a NOS one at that.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration