New - Old Camping Trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New - Old Camping Trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Another cool day today. Its been 0 to minus 20 F forever and I find myself dreaming of summer.

Last Fall I completed a replica teens / twenties camping trailer to tow behind our T. We were able to try it out on the last weekend before the mountain campsites closed for the season. It was all I had hoped for and more.

For those of you who are also longing for more amenable T touring weather I thought I would share a few photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

Great Job! I just finished planing a bunch of rough sawn ash today, looks just like your floor boards. It warmed up to 12, maybe 15 degrees in the sun here today in Michigan. Come on spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

That is sweet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

We started at -20 this morning and went up to 12 by this afternoon. I'm so glad it's finally warmed up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

Robb, That's a prize winner. Great job. Summer's ah commin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

Robb -- That's a WAY cool camper. I'm tempted to build one similar. Did you have plans, or design it yourself?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

Wow Robb, Great job! the more I look at your photos the more awesome the camper looks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:44 pm:

Robb, very nice camper. See you next weekend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:08 am:

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Mike, I designed it myself after looking at a bunch of original trailers at the T Centennial and at the RV museum in Elkhart. I first built a prototype to work out the bugs, then built the one in the photos.

Jim, I just ordered a new set of planer knives, wore out the last set building this project.

We have camped many years in our T. As Peter Kable has mentioned here, once you set up a camping car you can't take it sightseeing. Hence the need for a trailer.

We wanted the trailer to be lightweight, read easy to pull, and quick to set up.

John, I spent part of the day getting ready for the swap meet next weekend. Plan to take a set of Buffalo and a set of Dayton wire wheels and some other junk. Bring you wallet, I have acquired a taste for US $.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:16 am:

Robb, What a lovely job! What does you towing hitch on your car look like? Have you added any extra brakes or peeped up the motor at all? I am hoping to buy a trailer to put behind my very stock standard 16' tourer and wondering how it will cope?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:46 am:

Warwick,

I have to confess that our trailer took its first trip last fall behind a Ford F150. I didn't have time to complete the hitch on the T before the parks closed. At this point I may not put a hitch on our tent camper T as I plan to offer it for sale next weekend. I have an idea for a closed cab 1927 T that will be the trailer hauler.

Our T camper truck is a strong runner with a ruckstell and a standard rear end gearing. We can cruise all day with all our camping gear at 45 -50 mph. Before someone cautions me that I drive too fast, I said we can cruise that fast not that we do cruise that fast.

The big worry is not how fast it will go but how will I ever stop when going down the mountain passes. The trailer has electric brakes and the new closed cab pickup I have started has 4 wheel hydraulic brakes.

In answer to your question, a stock T should pull the trailer ok except up steep hills. The worry is getting everything stopped in an emergency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:51 am:

Robb,
Man you ARE set!!!!!
Beautiful trailer and Hack is just as beautiful. I envy you. Great job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:08 am:

John Steele check out the Dayton wire wheels 30 x 3 1/2 for me please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:20 am:

Robb,

Did you make that canoe too? My grandson has asked me to make one like that with him, but I've hesitated because I don't think I have the skill needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

Henry,
Yes I did make the canoe. I bought raw cedar, planed it, cut it to strips with a bandsaw and cut the cove and bead with a router. If you have the tools and patience and determination the skill will follow. As I recall, laying out, sanding, and finishing the fiberglass took a lot longer that I anticipated.

Its interesting, when I travel with the canoe on the T or on one of my other old cars people either comment on the canoe or on the car but not both.

This photo was taken on a T camping trip last summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:46 pm:

Robb, can you share some photos of the trailer build please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Erich,

I am in the process of transferring 100,000+ photos from one hard drive to another and it is not going well. I do have a bunch of photos of the project. I just can't get to them right now. At one point I had considered producing plans for the project but felt that there wouldn't be enough interest to make it worthwhile.

I will post some photos when I can retrieve them.

Here is a birds eye view of the lift mechanism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

Very cool, Robb. There are currently 20 items on my "Honey Do" list (and none of them T related :-(). Maybe when I get that whittled sown some I'll look into some canoe plans and see how it goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Robb,
That is one of the best looking pop-up campers I have ever seen.....If I had the plans I don't think I could fabricate one that nice.....Great Job....It just amazes me the quality and craftsmanship.....I sure would like to give it a try....Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 11:48 pm:

I would be interested in the plans, if you ever wanted to make them. Very cool trailer. Almost a work of art rather than a utilitarian piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:05 am:

very impressive, nice work !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:07 am:

I am trying to sell some early camping equipment for a wife that lost her husband. Her husband collected early brass era cars along with early camping equipment. Will have it all at the Big 3 swap meet in San Diego or at Bakersfield. Can take pictures if anyone is interested. Please contact me off line. The items would look great with an early camper/trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

THERE'S INTEREST IN PLANS I'LL BUY!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

Robb,
Beautiful job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Earl on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

I love your trailer and would be interested in getting more information or a set of plans. I have my axle about finished and am about ready to a trailer frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

I'd say there's at least three people interested in plans. Did you have any drawn up or did you just kind of wing it? Either way, it's beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

Include me and count that as four interested in the plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Paul on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:22 am:

Make that 5 interested in a set of plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:34 am:

Wow! Wish I had this for my trip. Wasn't much fun sleeping on the front bench seat of a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Wow that is Great! It reminds me of the camper my Dad made so that the whole family (6 of us) could go camping from Iowa to Colorado in the early 60s!! Include me in the plans list! I think I could make it with the Proper Direction? John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:14 am:

After seeing Constantine's comment I tried lying down on the front seat of my touring. No way. I definitely need to make a trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:27 am:

For some reason it never occurred to me "Where did Constantine sleep?" and good gravy that just adds a whole other dimension to his trip! 0_0

LOL Steve, I'm 5'8 and absolutely do not fit on the front seat of a touring car. What Constantine needed was a sleeper car! There was a '13 or '14 touring on eBay some time last year - it had these super cool front seats that folded down and combined with the rear seats to make a bed. Here's a thread with the same thing: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/345488.html?1362510344

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:13 am:

If I remember correctly in Constantine's photos I saw a folding cot set up beside the car. He made a comment about how hot the days were but how cold it got at night.

I too like all the campers pictured above. Nice job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

It is nice to see there is interest in the plans. I haven't been on the forum for a while but came back for a look after receiving several PMs indicating interest.

The plans will be in the form of an ebook in order to keep the price down. Here are a couple of images that will end up in the book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

I've been considering a trailer for my 1926 TuDor for some time. I've been concerned about the weight of the trailer. Do you know how heavy your trailer is?
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

Mike,

I don't know the weight. My objective was to keep it under 500 lbs. The axle with electric brake hubs weighs 100 lbs. and the wood carcass and floor probably add another 100.. I'm guessing that the mattresses and mattress frames must weigh about 100 lbs.

The Auto-Kamp trailer from back in the day weighted 700 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 06:03 pm:

500# would be good, I'm assuming that the axle is not Model T. Looks like there are leaf springs and steel frame. I like the look of the Model T wheels. Do the wheels use front wheel hubs or rear? I'd be interested in your plan, should you depend some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

Mike,
The axle is a commercial trailer axle with electric brakes. The springs are Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

The idea of having the axle on top of the springs hadn't occurred to me. Any comments pro or con?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

I would be interested in a set of plans too, when they are available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robb Wolff on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

I will set aside a couple of hours a day to complete the plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

Hey Steve,
Axle on the top of springs is the normal way to mount them, unless you are going for high clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

That's the normal arrangement these days, but seeing these Model T trailers I'm thinking maybe I want to put the springs on top so the trailer clearance will come closer to matching the car.

I think this trailer sits higher than Dean's, but both of them have the springs above the axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Anyone wanting to build a camping trailer should google "Zagelmeyer camping trailer." This trailer was patented in 1921 and weighed 550 lbs. Their brochure states, " easily handled by a Ford over mountains and backwoods trails as fast as car can travel." This trailer is 6 feet & three inches long and has a slide in kitchenette which slides in and can be used either outside or inside the trailer. It had two beds which were each 48" wide. They advertise that it can be set up in less than a minute. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/zagelmeyer.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 01:42 am:

My wife just fell in love with your trailer, I will be looking forward to your plans being available! Suburb job, it's a true work of art.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 04:13 am:

I really envy you guys that have the talent and patience to build these things. I can do most anything in steel, but with wood, I'm lost. Great job! Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration