Help with ID of jack handles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Help with ID of jack handles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

Here are two jack handles that I have acquired. I believe that they
are T-era handles but I do not know if this is true. I keep seeing this style but cannot find them in connection with any jacks issued either for Model T or Model A. I want to know which jack manufacturer made them and for which jack and for which car(s) and if possible which year(s) even if the cars are non-Ford or if these are known aftermarket jacks. Neither bear any markings to help me.
I believe the smaller of the two (14" length) to be a match for my AJAX A.P.CO stamped steel ratchet jack from approx. 1914-1920 but am unsure. The Jack itself is a precursor model to the flip top ratchet jacks issued starting 1925 and is patented 02-13-06 and 4-14-14 on the jack. It does fit it really well and a longer handle than 14" one would hit the ground before ratcheting upwards, so the length seems to check out.
Both hex ends on both jacks seem to be for 3/4" lugs whereas the smaller one is more rawly made and the other is more refined. The longer handle is approx. 17" total length.
Also does any one know what is the slit for in the long one and what are the two knob-like protrusions are for on the smaller (older?) one.
Can anyone help me with this? I have uploaded three pictures of the two handles.Two unknown jack handles 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Here are the back sides.two unknown jack handles 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Here is the side profile of the two handles.two unknown jack handles 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:44 am:

I don't believe those are for a Model T. I would guess 30's or 40's .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 01:38 am:

I have some Model T & Model A jacks & handles & do not believe your pictured ones are Ford.
The bottom one looks like ones supplied by GM in the 1930's ,eg. Chev.
Regarding any slits in handles, the Model A 20" twist handle used in 1929 used this feature for pulling or pushing the little up/down lever on the ratchet jacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:00 am:

Whippet, among others had two little holes in the hub cap that would appear to be for some type of wrench to tighten or remove the hubcap. I cannot think of another reason for the holes in the hubcap other than to use the two pins in that jack handle (proper spacing required).
There have been several Whippets on ebad lately, however most of them are off now. But this one is still there for 3 more days. Look at the last photo in the selection of photos. It is looking down the rear wheel, and the two holes show well in the photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willys-MODEL-96-A-96-A-1927-whippet-sedan-/161219670710? forcerrptr=true&hash=item258970f2b6&item=161219670710&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

The other handle is a common type used by many medium to large size cars and trucks of the '20s, except that most of them do not have the slot. I don't know what it is for, however apparently my Paige doesn't need the slot.
They also are good tire irons.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:28 am:

Wow, don't you guys sleep? Thank you.
Does anyone know who was the supplier for the jacks for the Willy's Whippet or the 30's Chevys. I haven't spent any time with these two makers except to restore a Willy's '42 jeep tire pump from Walker. Did they also have a Parts Price List like Ford with illustrations? If yes does anyone have the tools page illustration with their jack? I want to sell off the larger of the two jack handles because I don't have a vintage Chevy. It came with a package of Ford tools. I would like to get the description correct. I am keeping the smaller older handle but would still like to match it with the correct jack then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:39 am:

One of my brothers had one of the second ones. It came w/a radial arm saw or some other woodworking equipment he had, can't remember exactly as that was about 40-50 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Cheatham on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

Wayne, thank you! I checked the spacing on the Whippet hubs and the two lugs on my jack handle and it was a perfect match!, I believe you are right. The handle was for the Whippet.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration