Dear Friend Steve Lehto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Dear Friend Steve Lehto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:22 am:

Although most people that regularly visit this site will have never had the pleasure of meeting or knowing Steve Lehto, there are quite a few here that have met him.
Sadly, Steve passed away suddenly from a heart attack a couple days ago. Son Davin was with him when the attack occurred and administered CPR (he has the training), but it only extended Steve's time a few hours.
Steve never really had a model T. He and his 1925 Lincoln have been around the SCVMTFC, their tours, their Endurance Run, for nearly 40 years. A member of the club off and on over many years, he was a past club president, and could be counted on to help out often. In the early years (before my wife and kids) he often rode with me on the Endurance Run. He also rode once with Ed Archer. He drove his model A first and then his Lincoln on many Lowland Tours.
Steve was among the best of antique automobile hobbyists I have ever known. He and his wife Margie often dressed up to "look the part" and did so right. He loved the music of that era and played several instruments very well. He also enjoyed silent movies as much as anyone I have ever known (which is a lot!).
Steve served in the Navy, and for forty years he has honored the WWI veterans by wearing his authentic WWI Navy uniform in parades and special events, often with other friends doing a color guard with Army and Marine uniforms.
More than anything else, Steve liked to enjoy time with his family and his friends.
Nearly two decades ago, we nearly lost Steve. His kidneys had failed, followed by serious heart problems. A quadruple bypass and kidney transplant later, gave us 18 more years of Steve. Both before and after that, Steve knew how to live as well as anybody I have ever met.
I will miss Steve Lehto. As will many other of his friends.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:46 am:

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I lost a great friend this week too. Tom was 96 years old and loved riding in my Model T. He will be missed also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 08:13 am:

yes sorry to read of the loss of another car guy.
I am afraid it is near the end for my friend that is a WW2 veteran.He is a Model A guy and had some military stuff restored to.Hospice is helping with him now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

Wayne,
Thanks for posting that interesting and thoughtful message about Steve. I knew him in the early days of the SCVMTFC and have seen him many times through the years. Hopefully the *Backfire* will publish a deserving tribute to Steve.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Thanks for posting that, Wayne, it was beautifully put. Steve was one of a kind; we will miss him and we're better for having known him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

Steve, in his natural habitat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 01:38 am:

I had wanted to include a few pictures earlier (thank you Dan!), But my computer has been "upgraded". It amazes me how they can improve something so that it doesn't work anymore. Most of my photos are currently in electronic limbo land. I did dig up a few however.

The Color-Guard. Steve was proud of his service and liked to honor the WWI veterans who were no longer here to be honored in person. He did not want them to be forgotten.

Steve and Margie with Their Lincoln (I told you he has been in the hobby for a long time)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 01:42 am:

I decided to add one more to help with the MTFCA connection.

On Catalina Island with the Model T Ford Club of America Catalina Capers Tour in 1976. All dressed up and going to the final banquet with good friends Dan Ercig (and Me). Steve is in the middle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:50 am:

A nice tribute

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:18 am:

I didn't personally know Steve but I pass on my condolences for a respected and good Model T Man and friend of so many. Joe

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration