T accessories we don't see

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: T accessories we don't see
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 09:09 am:

While I was responding to the "Smokes at stop light" thread, I got to thinking about improvements to the engine design that we don't see aftermarket solutions for. A couple that come to mind are vacuum advance or fly weight advance on the distributors that were/are offered to replace the coils. Why not offer a forced lubrication system kit that had a cam lobe driven pump and lines run inside the pan to the bearings. Some small engines of the time used that. We do have the transmission screen which is pretty effective with the splash oil system but why not a oil filter/recirculation system? I guess some of these issues were addressed in the design of the model A but you would think there would be after market suppliers offering these. How about a 4th main bearing seal? If you live in hilly or mountainous areas, that would be a big help to keep oil in the engine and prevent it from washing the grease out of the U-Joint/ball area. Not trying to stir up controversy. I figured if these ideas had been pursued during the production of the T, then the forum members would set me strait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 09:47 am:

Here's an accessory oil pump site gauge.

Patent courtesy of Art Bell

H.M. Strong
Patent number: 1178762
Filing date: Jul 22, 1915
Issue date: Apr 11, 1916
http://tinyurl.com/yjdj6pn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:34 am:

I have a 1922 Dyke's manual that shows how to build a plunger type oil pump run off a cam lobe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

I'd be interested in reading that Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

I have my "reservations" about running a oil pump from a cam lobe as the "steepness" of the cam lobe I don't think would be well suited. It is quite easy to make and install a eccentric lobe between #2-3 or #3-4 cylinder. Make it in two halves and then weld it together in place on the cam shaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

There are tons of these add on "improvements". Did any one ever collect them into a single book? It'd be a fun read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Charlie, I have somewhere around 800 accessories for the Model T. About 530 of them I have shared here under the Accessory Of The Day threads I post.

Here are several books on Model T accessories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

Chester,

My period correct Bosch front plate distributors have a centrifical advance. Other makes had it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

I wonder why the distributors sold now don't offer a centrifugal advance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

Jay - Just curious, how and when did you start collecting T accessories? Some of the stuff you post is so obscure that I would probably walk right past it at a flea market not knowing what it is. Always look forward to your posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:25 am:

Dan. I started with a few accessories that came with one of our four T's we acquired about 20 years ago an it snow balled from there. I have a large library of Ford Owner dealer magazines that I have studied the ads in so it makes it easy to spot obscure bits and pieces of accessories at swap meets, antique stores, Etc. If I had greater means I would probably have several hundred more accessories than I currently have judging by all the ones I passed up because the price was to steep for my wallet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Chester,

I suspect it's because new distributors are made in the "vacuum advance" era and likely none, or few, are made with centrifugal advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

The one I got from Lang's on my 26 doesn't have any advance other than the lever on the steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

One of the accessories I'd like see offered is the "K" filter assembly for the Kingston L-4 carburetor. The other is a spoke jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

You will notice the plain Model T has survived while most of the accessories have faded into the night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

Yes Ted, lots of "plain Model T's" survived, and the "Stuff" attached to them in many cases went the wayside.
Accessories" are what personalized your Model T back in the day and made it stand out from all the other plain Jane cookie cutter Fords fresh from the assembly line. Grab any copy of the Ford Owner Dealer and you will see that there was a HUGE thriving market for them in all shapes and sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Ted - Western Auto Stores came into existence mainly because of the Model "T" accessories they sold, and Western Auto Stores have also, as you said,......"faded into the night"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

This at one time was the Model T with the most accessories. Any one know where it is today?

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:28 am:

This one you don't see, hidden inside the pan, labeled 'Ford Oil Saver'

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration