Number of clutch disk ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Number of clutch disk ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

Starting to reassemble the clutch of my 1914 Touring, I found 13 "small" disks, 14 "large" disks and 1 "small" thick disk from what I disassembled before.
The Book says for earlier transmission 12 small, 13 large, 1 thick.
Could it be an error from the factory or from a previous owner or is it correct for 1913 transmission ?
Should I keep all or only 12 + 13 +1 ?

The thicker disk should be first, being a small one rotating with the clutch hub, this means that it will rub on the flange drum when dis- engaging the clutch. Is that correct ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

Philippe - Look at this link below. I posted the same question yesterday.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/422288.html?1391978876

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

Philippe,

It is correct. Make it the same when you install the clutch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

Sorry - Should be one thick distance plate, 12 small, 13 large.

Maybe someone added a large one to compensate for wear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

This subject was pre discussed and I was in the middle of it. I reviewed my 15 parts book and it calls for 13 large and 13 small thrust plates (clutch discs). When starting with the thicker distance plate followed by a small disk then a large disk alternating to the top and ending with a large disk on top. If your transmission had 14 large disks it is probable that the previous owner started with a large disk and therefore to end with a large disk a 14th would have to be added. In later transmissions you start with a large disk and end with a large disk, in the early units you start with a small disk and end with a large disk. And that is all I have to say about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:58 pm:

A few words of advice. Examine the disks carefully and be sure the wear pattern is going the same direction for all. New disks are flat, but they become concave across the face as they are used.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration