Battery door cover dimensions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Battery door cover dimensions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

The battery door cover in the trunk of my '19 Runabout is missing, having been replaced by a misfitting piece of plywood. I have some oak and want to make a more correct replacement. I found an older thread which had photos and dimensions for a battery door for a Centerdoor Sedan. The opening on my car is a bit smaller. I am hoping that a couple of you who have '19-'25 Runabouts could check the length and width of your battery doors so I can see if I have a mystery here. Photos of both sides of the door could help as well. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 11:27 am:

Anybody? There must be someone else here with a Runabout with factory battery. I might try to find an original battery door. It would be nice to know if the sizes are fairly consistent before I look for one. I can do with out the photos, the size is all I need. Thanks for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

Is this a points car or a driver? Unless you are going to change the hole size in the floor or you can't remove the battery, you have the info for size. Just make it to fit your hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

Yes but again, I might look for an original so I need to know if there is a common size on Runabouts. Tourings might be the same as well. I don' t know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Here is another thread with measurements for a '22 coupe and a '27 runabout - both were 8 1/2" wide by 14".

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/35548.html?1189268119

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

Thanks Roger, I did see that thread but I was concerned that a '27 anything or a Coupe might be a bit different and it appears they are. Same with another thread about Center Door Sedans. That's why I figured I would be safer asking about Runabouts or possibly Tourings from 1919 to 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

Tourings don't need a battery trap door as Ford called them, because you lift up the rear floor board to access the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

This thread gives a slightly different measurement for '26/'27 runabouts, 13 1/4" x 8 3/4". Another interesting info is Dave Sosnoski is making reproductions of the various models.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/291099.html?1337812119

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

Oh yes Larry, I forgot about the large floorboard on the Touring. Thanks. I'm still looking to get the measurements of the battery door from anyone who has a 1919-1925 Runabout. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:41 am:

Dave - I'm currently re-wooding my 25 runabout. The battery door on 23 thru 25 runabouts is 9" wide x 12" long x 5/8" thk.(made from 2 pcs 9" long x 6" wide). There are two strips 11" long attached underneath, set back from the front of the door (to clear the metal strip on the rear body panel). Cut a 1" finger hole at the rear of the door. These dimensions are from the turtledeck floor section of the re-wooding plans. I am building mine out of ash. Again, these dimensions are for 23 thru 25, not sure if 19 is the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:58 am:

That's the info I was looking for Tex and yes, mine is the exact same size. Thank you so much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:51 am:

If worse comes to worse, try Ray Wells in El Cajon, California. He has rewooded more bodies than anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

I finished making my new battery door. I was going to use new wood but, it looked too new to match the floor and I couldn't find solid wood in 5/8 thickness anyway. I decided to use a board from a 19th century collapsed barn. The wood is tough, old growth cedar and the texture and fine cracking looks totally correct and original. I know few will ever see it but, it really bugged me to see a piece of plywood just thrown over the hole especially when all the wood in my car is original. I'm sure whoever cut that barn board could never have imagined it would one day wind up on a newfangled contraption such as this. Thanks for the help guys. Dave.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration